V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my front brake lever being too tight.

I recently changed my bars and was real careful when removing my controls. However I noticed when I re-installed everything my brake lever felt tight, really hard to squeeze. So I checked fluid level and bled the brakes and everything was fine. Rode to work this morning and worked like a charm. 8 hours later got on the bike to ride home and it was tight again. wtf?? Bled them when I got home and it's fine again. Am I missing something here? oh the bike is a 1993 FXR.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
968 Posts
'Real tight'.....as in very little freeplay?
Are you sure that the pin (#45031-82) that actuates the stoplamp switch (#45015-82) are assembled properly? The stoplamp switch has a small pushrod that rides in the hole in the pin in your hand lever......

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'Real tight'.....as in very little freeplay?
Are you sure that the pin (#45031-82) that actuates the stoplamp switch (#45015-82) are assembled properly? The stoplamp switch has a small pushrod that rides in the hole in the pin in your hand lever......
My lever has a flat piece of steel that just rest in front of the the little black button that activates the brake light.

yes tight as in hard to squeeze no free play. Rear brake light works when brake lever is squeezed. Once I bleed the brakes it works fine.

Maybe not bleeding correctly? I was reading some other stuff about getting a brake bleeding system like Mityvac or minivac. I have had old cars and never used any thing like that. bleeding brakes was a snap..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brakes not heating up. Bled them last night worked great this morning. I am wondering. I had to zip tie the brake line. Is it possible it's choking off fluid. I didn't zip it very tight, just enough to hold it in place, but Now it's got me thinking this could be the problem.

Or what about heat on the master cylinder? Just checked my bike this afternoon and brake lever is tight. bled the brakes and it's fine again. Could the heat from the sun be doing something to the fluid inside the cylinder to build up pressure? I don't have any shade where I work so it's gets really hot. We are having 90 degree weather here in Colorado.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts