V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I experienced a problem last night while doing a semi routine flushing of the brake fluid on the front brakes on my 2000 FLHTC. I have done this many times before and had no issue. I vacuum bled both calipers pulling in fresh DOT 5 all the way through to the caliper. When i finished both sides I topped off the resevoir and check then brake lever and to my surprise it was completely flat. Right to the bars. I never let the res run dry so the problem wasnt from that. I proceeded to rebleed with vacuum both sides and got no improvement. I then filled a syringe with fluid, burped it to make sure there was no air in it and pressure bled it from both sides. Still no improvement. I topped off the res and in frustration put the cover on and pumped it up a bunch. To my surprise it actually improved. (the wheels never went around so this shouldnt be a warped disc issue) I vacuum bled it one more time and got it seemed to get a little better. I rode it to work this morning and it seemed to be performing about where it was when I started this whole thing which is a little soft but not terrible.
Any thoughts as to what happened? Master cylinder starting to fail? Like i said I have done this numerous times before and never had any issues like this. Any assistance you can provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Look on the Lyndal brake websight for the procedure to clean the pucks in your front caliper. By simply spraying them with brakeclean and prying the pucks back in to the caliper with a stiff putty knife or screwdriver between the pads you can easily fix a soft lever in minutes. There is a sticky on this. Search on soft brake lever.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its important to bleed the brakes, people don't do it enough. I rebuilt the front mast cylinder on my 01 this summer. After bleeding, I would squeeze it and barely get a bubble in the resevior. It should squirt out.

Kit is $35, and easy to do. Not sure if this is your problem, since it was ok before you bled??? But its a cheap thing to do, might want to, since you will have to bleed after doing this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
same same

bled the brakeson my 96 FLT yesterday & had the same thing happen .. pumped lever till tite ,crack bleeder ,lever went right to the grip,closed bleeder & tried pumpin it up again but it wouldn't .hmm,took cap off topped it off cap back on ,still wont pump up ,wtf, i went to manual to see if i missed something ,went back 7 squeezed lever 7 had all kind of pressure ...??? bled again ,did same thing ,few minutes later back up to pressure ,now all is good . dont know if it's a gravity issue or what :huh::hmmm:

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Sometimes you can tie the brake lever to the handlbar, let it sit overnight and fix this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts