V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2001 Diamand Ice FXD w/2700 miles on it last week. Finnaly had a nice day to take it out yesteday, and when I returned home I noticed that the front brake pads were dragging as I pushed it through the garage. I did not notice this before. Is a little dragging normal or do the brakes need adjusted. Thanks for your help.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
ifd22, this is the nature of the brakes....nothing abnormal. At times they will get quieter but there is little you can do. I have heard that if you bevel the back trailing edge at 45 degree with a grinder/sander that this would help but I haven't tried it.
I don't know about the newest HD pads but the original pads were wearing out very quickly especially on the rear. Sometimes before six thousand miles. They were replaced under warranty if you insisted at most HD service departments. The newer pads that are a replacement for the stock ones are not supposed to have this premature wearing problem. There is no recall on the original pads. I know the rear inside pad wear on my bike caught me by suprise one day at about 10,000 miles.

I came back to add one thing. At 2700 miles I am presumming that nothing else is wrong and that what you are talking about is the same light drag swishing noise that is so common. It's possible, after years usually, that a dirty caliper piston is sticking.

Later,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 FXDL with less than 800 miles on it and noticed the same dragging noise! I am going to take it to my dealer for the 1000 mile check real soon and will ask about the noise. Will keep you posted on what his answer is.

Jim

·
Registered
232 Posts
Me Too..

I bought mine new..I now have 7,500 miles on it...
I brought this to the dealer attention...Sorry..They ALL do that..
If you get a different answer..I 'd love to here it..Only got 15 more days under the waranty..
Enjoy and pretend you don't hear any noises...
P.S.
What 5th, gear said!!:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts