V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a wide glide front end off Ebay. It has a 1' axle. I also bought a 21" front wheel that was supposedly a wide glide take off. The ad said it had was for use with a 1" axle. When I got it I looked at it and it was bigger than a 3/4" hole so I figured I was good to go. I finally got the front end on and went to put the wheel on. Bad news, the hole in the bearing was smaller than the 1" axle. What size could the bearing be? Could I change the bearings but not the spacer? The spacer looked a little bigger but can't really tell. Any ideas? ......Thanks...Joe

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Its either the 1 inch or the earlier 3/4 inch. There is different kits so you can switch to the appropriate bearing.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just found a thread on HDForums. I guess they changed to 25mm in '08. That would be just a hair less than an inch,and that's just about what I'm missing by. I'm thunking maybe I can just replace the bearings and not the spacer in the wheel. The spacer looks a little bigger than the bearing. Either that or I need a 25mm axle......It never ends. Tried doing this on the cheap. Not going to happen though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just found a thread on HDForums. I guess they changed to 25mm in '08. That would be just a hair less than an inch,and that's just about what I'm missing by. I'm thunking maybe I can just replace the bearings and not the spacer in the wheel. The spacer looks a little bigger than the bearing. Either that or I need a 25mm axle......It never ends. Tried doing this on the cheap. Not going to happen though.
If you change bearings to fit the axle, you will need new bearings, inner spacer, and correct outer spacers for the axle. Keep in mind, most people will have to have someone to press the new bearings and spacer in the hub, which is an expense in addtion to the parts.

Or, you can get an axle (about $50.00 from Zanotti) and correct outer spacers for the new wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
If you try to replace just the axle, Im pretty sure that the fork saddles will not fit it correctly, if it is made for a 25mm axle! Bearings are cheap and most indys can cut you an internal spacer!

·
Premium Member
943 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not trying to be an dick here, but trying to provide him correct information.

Good ole HDforums,, well in the front it was never a 25mm...either 1" or 3/4".
In 08' the REAR was changed to 25mm only. Could be aftermarket.
All Dyna front and rear axles from 08 to present are 25mm.

If you try to replace just the axle, Im pretty sure that the fork saddles will not fit it correctly, if it is made for a 25mm axle! Bearings are cheap and most indys can cut you an internal spacer!
The sliders are the same for the 1" and the 25mm axles. Only the bearings, spacers, and axles changed.

An example of this is the 06-07 Wide Glides which have 1" axles, and the 08 has a 25mm axle, but all three years use the same part number fork sliders. If you look up the part number for the chrome front end lit, the part numbers for the 06-07 will be different than the 08 because of the axle spacers, not the sliders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No trying to be an dick here, but trying to provide him correct information.

The sliders are the same for the 1" and the 25mm axles. Only the bearings, spacers, and axles changed.

An example of this is the 06-07 Wide Glides which have 1" axles, and the 08 has a 25mm axle, but all three years use the same part number fork sliders. If you look up the part number for the chrome front end lit, the part numbers for the 06-07 will be different than the 08 because of the axle spacers, not the sliders.
That's basically what they said over there(*******). If that is true I should be able to get an axle for a 2008 Dyna Wide-Glide, right?
Can anyone else confirm or refute this info?
Anybody have an axle they want to sell. :)

Thanks.....joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know what you are going though Joe. I got some wheels off ebay with the right bearings but my brake rotors don't fit them. Sooo off to the machine shop and another fifty bucks and my simple project keeps getting pricier.

I would get the axle from zanottis. They are normally the best price and they usually have most parts in stock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I might just have the a 1" axle turned down to 25mm. The spacers might still be usable. we're only talking 4/10 of a mm difference. What do you guys think?
I emailed the guy I bought the wheel from. It was from a shop selling stuff on ebay. Asked for the right axle since he advertised the wheel as being with 1" bearings. Surprise....I haven't heard back. Should have tried the axle before leaving feedback. It looked right to me though. I didn't realize Harley went metric....what's up with that anyway??

·
Registered
111 Posts
For the front, all you need is 1" bearings installed. Should be that simple. The rear wheel is another story. apparantly in the rear, the 1" bearing is a hair wider than the metric, causing the width to be off. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Can anyone else confirm or refute this info?

Thanks.....joe
'08 and up Dynas (all Dynas) take #9276 bearings, which are 25mm.
'06-'07 Wide Glides (and '04-'05 non WG) take #9247 bearings, which are 1".
'00-'05 Wide Glides (and '00-'03 non WG) take #9267 bearings, which are 3/4"

p.s. you're gonna need the 1" inner bearing spacer too if you change the bearings to 1".

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Not trying to be an dick here, but trying to provide him correct information.

Not a problem. I shoulda read deeper into the post. I had assumed these were 41mm WG forks not 49mm. :spank:

Might be a little less work just changing the axle to 25mm, then changing out the bearings and sleeve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yea, That's what I'm thinking. Changing the bearings and sleeve sounds like more money and more work(or even more money).

Thank You all for the info. For now I'm going the axle route.

blkfalc4 It is a 41mm front end. Not sure what year, but definitely 41mm tubes. and 1" axle.

1978terrorizer I know a few of the local troopers. I'll let them know you enjoyed their hospitality.

Joe

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
41mm and 1" axle? FXWG maybe? Custom? I know 97-05 FXDWG are 3/4"
The 25mm axle is for 49mm tubes so I would measure to make sure it will work as I would think 49mm lowers would be wider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
See...This is what happens when you buy stuff on Ebay!! I bought the front end as a take-off wide -glide "2000 up" front end. At that point I didn't even realize there were 1" axles. ( I have an '82. Don't really pay much attention to the new ones. Since Harley started going crazy with 100 different models.) When I got it and saw how large the axle was and that my current wheel wouldn't work, I started researching and found out about the 1" thing. I then started looking for a new wheel with 1" bearings. This wheel supposedly had 1" bearings and was also for 2000 up. I had it for weeks before trying to use it. Then surprise....the axle doesn't fit this wheel either. More research and here I am learning that Harley has become retarded and is changing sizes constantly so parts are no longer easily interchangeable. Good for them because parts will sit unused in peoples garages. Bad for us because it gives them a chance to rip us off out of a few more dollars.

Bottom line.... shame on me for not doing my homework before starting the project. Shame on me for thinking that because someone advertises a 1" bearing that it would actually be a 1" bearing. But... I think when it's done I'm going to like the look and a little bit of extra work isn't going to kill me. I enjoy working on the bike anyway and now I've learned something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am about to go through the same situation. I have a 1993 FXLR, 21 inch front wheel. for narrow glide. I bought a used wide glide front end. I hoped I could just buy a matching wheel, and put it on, and keep my narrow set up in the garage.
I guess I really have to measure, to get the proper wheel, and Bearing combo. I have the axle already,, How did you guys measure the axle,, do I put a tape measure against the outside edge ? or use a flexible tape measure, and wrap it around, measuring circumference.?
that may sound like a stupid question,, but Id really like to make this easy on myself.
So let me ask you-- GYMSBYJO
after you had your axle turned down (at a machine shop, im guessing) the bearings and spacers and everything you got with that wheel.. all worked out.? or did you still have to buy other parts.?
Tom in NJ ,, THANKS for any help

1 - 20 of 28 Posts