V-Twin Forum banner

front axle nut

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  veerodder 
#1 ·
While washing the bike and doing a once-over this weekend I was shocked to find my front axle nut loose. I don't mean a few foot pounds loose - I mean not even hand tight loose. I spun the nut right off with my fingers. I noticed when washing the wheels behind the brake disc, my finger spun the wheel spacer. I got a little queasy when I thought about the previous night's ride - well in excess of 100mph on more than one occasion.:eek: Check 'em out everyone! I have heard of this happening on more than one V-Rod. This has never occurred on any of the other 3 bikes I have owned. Has anybody had this happen to them on a V-Rod or otherwise?

#3 ·
I read the spec in my service manual yesterday, I wanna say it was 62 to 65 ft. lbs. I'll check again today (when I tighten it) and let you know tommorrow. More importantly is why is this nut loose in the first place?!

#8 ·
VRB - Youch! Red loc-tite is VERY difficult to remove and usually requires heating with a torch to remove! I used blue loc-tite, which can be broken by hand on mine. Might want to ask the mechanic if red is a really good idea on a fastener that has to be removed for tire changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.