V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FNG
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 06 RK Custom in Oct. and had a thunderHeader 2:1 installed before I took delivery... The bike also has a stage2 95" kit install w/204 cams. I've been thinking about changing to a set of Rinehart Duals...

any opinions? or thoughts ? Im wondering how the 2 will compare sounds wise and if I will see any change in performance...

thanks
D.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I have a 06' RK that I just put a set of Rineheart's on and I like them just fine. Some will say you lose a ton of tq. and this may be so, but my seat of pants dyno says it runs out good and I ride 2up most times. I really like the way it looks over the stock pipes.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The Rineharts look better but the Thunderheader will give you better performance. I have Rineharts installed on my bike. I love the look and the sound knowing full well I'm leaving a couple lb/ft of torque on the table.

You'd probably come out pretty good if you sold the TH on ebay. Plan on spending about $580 for the Rineharts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rineharts make you happy!

OK - so I can't tell you how they will compare to the Thunderheaders since I went straight from stock to Rineharts on my '06 RK Custom....

I did not notice any drop in performance, but I did notice I was smiling a lot more!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Thunderheader works for me

I just put a thunderheader on my flhti and it sounds fantastic; a deep rumble that roars when you get on the throttle. I've heard Reinhardts and prefer the sound of the thunderheader. Performance is a plus with the TH as well.

-bluelab

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
thatoldbike said:
The Rineharts look better but the Thunderheader will give you better performance. I have Rineharts installed on my bike. I love the look and the sound knowing full well I'm leaving a couple lb/ft of torque on the table.

You'd probably come out pretty good if you sold the TH on ebay. Plan on spending about $580 for the Rineharts.
Nailed it.....

Thunder Headers are too loud for me... but I love listening to them on my brother in law's bike.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
dmize said:
I bought my 06 RK Custom in Oct. and had a thunderHeader 2:1 installed before I took delivery... The bike also has a stage2 95" kit install w/204 cams. I've been thinking about changing to a set of Rinehart Duals...

any opinions? or thoughts ? Im wondering how the 2 will compare sounds wise and if I will see any change in performance...

thanks
D.
If you have the Thunderheader tuned it will be more than a couple lb.-ft. of torque dropping to the Rineharts. Additionally, many have noted that Thunderheaders are great at cruise, milder than some dual systems. You might want to ask MaineUltraClassic about his experiences (search, he has threads about it). Many people have not ridden a bike with Thunderheaders (only heard them from elsewhere) and do not know they are pleasant from the seat; that the sound projects behind nicely. I have about 15,000 miles on mine, a 95" with AMS heads, 9.4 compression, and 37G cams in the last couple of years - and can tell you I prefer it to the stock headers with the Kerker pipes (ran that setup for ~5,000 miles, very similar to S.E.) for reduced sound at cruise and throttle response (significant). If you want a dual pipe look, you can get a false pipe for a TH and have the best of both worlds. Thousands of people do.

·
Registered
473 Posts
drdevon said:
If you have the Thunderheader tuned it will be more than a couple lb.-ft. of torque dropping to the Rineharts. Additionally, many have noted that Thunderheaders are great at cruise, milder than some dual systems. You might want to ask MaineUltraClassic about his experiences (search, he has threads about it). Many people have not ridden a bike with Thunderheaders (only heard them from elsewhere) and do not know they are pleasant from the seat; that the sound projects behind nicely. I have about 15,000 miles on mine, a 95" with AMS heads, 9.4 compression, and 37G cams in the last couple of years - and can tell you I prefer it to the stock headers with the Kerker pipes (ran that setup for ~5,000 miles, very similar to S.E.) for reduced sound at cruise and throttle response (significant). If you want a dual pipe look, you can get a false pipe for a TH and have the best of both worlds. Thousands of people do.
I agree with you... If its tuned, you know it...

·
UltraMan
104 Posts
KhromeWerks to Rineharts

Replaced set of Khromewerks on my 95" (SE 203 cam) 2000 Ultra with Rineharts. Seat of pants dyno felt power loss. Actual dyno concurred.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
drdevon said:
I must agree. The sound of the Touring TH is nice from the seat. My friend has SEII's on his Road King.We swapped bikes so I could hear the sound of the TH's. They sound deeper, but no louder than the SEII's. Of course I have a stock engine (other than the PCII and AC) . Sounds much better than the SEII's when you hit the throttle. "Deep sounding, not tinny like my SEII's" said my friend the Road King rider. I have not heard a better exhaust for a bagger. I loved riding before, but now I just can't wait to hear the Harley music. Sweeet.

-bluelab

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
blue, you calling the long TH the "touring" and the short one is something else?

I know ZIPPER's requires the 14 inch TH (the touring?) on thier 120 kits instead of the short TH.

anyone got a used TH for a RK for sale?

how is the TH chrome finish holding up?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
04ctd said:
blue, you calling the long TH the "touring" and the short one is something else?

I know ZIPPER's requires the 14 inch TH (the touring?) on thier 120 kits instead of the short TH.

Thunderheaders for baggers come in two lenghts, a long or short. the longer pipe spits the sound farther out the back of the bike. I just called the long pipe the "Touring" pipe but that's not what anyone else (including Rich Products) calls it.

As for the chrome, I wouldn't know as my TH has a black ceramic finish.

-bluelab

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
heat shields

04ctd said:

Get the heat shields. No problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts