V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to motorcycles, but definitely an expert on paying sales tax on them. I started out with a Honda Shadow ACE 750 Deluxe in '98. To be honest, I hated it. I rode it around for the summer and then looked for something else. The following spring I was looking for a bigger bike and opted for a Vulcan classic 1500, I just couldn't afford to get an FLSTF, what I really wanted. I rode the hell out of it and decided to sell it last fall because I hadn't been riding much because of other crap that seemed to keep coming up. Bought my first H-D two weeks ago, an '02 Fat Boy, and love it!!! I've chalked up some miles and sweated my arse off in the heat here in KY, but I've never enjoyed riding as much as I do now. I've added some chrome goodies here and there, but next thing is to replace the SE II slip on's with some V&H Big Shots I ordered. I've already received a tremendous amount of information from this forum and lots of help/advice.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
zappman, I presume you are adjusting the F/I (or carb) to compensate for the change in pipes?

Exhausts are very personal, kinda like women. What one man likes/loves another will only enjoy for a short time. (Was that delicate or what?:D ) Anyway, have you heard the Big Shots? IMHO, they are a lot louder than the SE II's. I know several owners who are very happy with thelm. But be sure that is what you want.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome to the HD forum,zappmann!

Congrats on getting the bike you wanted,enjoy it!

Looking forward to your posts.
guido

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
pasadenajim said:
zappman, I presume you are adjusting the F/I (or carb) to compensate for the change in pipes?

Exhausts are very personal, kinda like women. What one man likes/loves another will only enjoy for a short time. (Was that delicate or what?:D ) Anyway, have you heard the Big Shots? IMHO, they are a lot louder than the SE II's. I know several owners who are very happy with thelm. But be sure that is what you want.

Funny you should mention the adjusting, the bike had the SE II's on before I saw it. The dealer said they also put an air kit on it and jetted the carb. Do I need to get it re-jetted for V&H's pipes?

Thanks

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
you might need to go up a size on the main jet. do it yourself, it is super easy. you dont even need to take the carb off the bike (if it is like my 95). or better yet install a thunderslide and jet kit. you might have someone do that for you or have a friend assist.

·
Registered
695 Posts
zappmann,
Way to go on getting your new bike. Good luck on all the exhaust modifications you're thinking about.
I know you're real happy with new Harley but was wondering what you think about the Vulcan classic 1500.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cox9000 said:
zappmann,
Way to go on getting your new bike. Good luck on all the exhaust modifications you're thinking about.
I know you're real happy with new Harley but was wondering what you think about the Vulcan classic 1500.

I really liked the Vulcan, never had any problems. Here is a pic. of it right before I sold it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
otterbob said:
you might need to go up a size on the main jet. do it yourself, it is super easy. you dont even need to take the carb off the bike (if it is like my 95). or better yet install a thunderslide and jet kit. you might have someone do that for you or have a friend assist.
Thanks Otterbob, I am jet deficient, not too sure what is involved to re-jet my carb. My last bike was fuel injected so I got lazy. By the way, what is a thunderslide?

Thanks for the info!

- Z

·
Registered
695 Posts
I remember asking that question myself (what is a Thunderslide?) I got lucky and reached a pretty cool tech working out in California with Vance & Hines. Hell, it was hard enough just trying to get through all the information on exhaust systems -- then they said, "make sure you do the thunderslide kit". Say what?
Sounds like you're Mechanically Inclined so I'd suggest looking at the kit while an exhaust technician explains it -- anyway it made it more clear for me.

Oh Yeah! I almost forgot -- what was the power like on the bike you sold? It is a good lookin' bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cox9000 said:
I remember asking that question myself (what is a Thunderslide?) I got lucky and reached a pretty cool tech working out in California with Vance & Hines. Hell, it was hard enough just trying to get through all the information on exhaust systems -- then they said, "make sure you do the thunderslide kit". Say what?
Sounds like you're Mechanically Inclined so I'd suggest looking at the kit while an exhaust technician explains it -- anyway it made it more clear for me.

Oh Yeah! I almost forgot -- what was the power like on the bike you sold? It is a good lookin' bike.

Power was excellent once I put on different pipes and a K&N air filter. I also tuned the injection with a Power Commander. I never put it on a dyno, so I don't have any specifics.

·
Registered
695 Posts
zappmann,
Is your bike fuel injected or does it have a carburetor? I think I got lost (I'm not as technically proficient). You started by talking about re-jetting the carb then your last post you said the injection was tuned. Can you explain?

PS: I'm still in the learning mode

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry if I confused you, you were asking me about my old bike - the Vulcan, it was fuel injected. My Fat Boy is carburated.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Duuhhhh!!! OK, I'll go sit in the corner now.
Thanks for clearing it up for me -- putting all that stress on the limited supply of brain cells I have left makes it hard for me to enjoy my beer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts