V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first Harley, a 97 FLHTCUI. It has 54k, but runs and looks pretty good, but I have found some loose bolts and.... yes, a leak. Welcome to hogland. If you follow a straight line down between the jugs to the bottom of where the primary case seals is where it slowly pools and drips. I first thought it was coming from the primary cover, so I replaced that seal, along with the clutch and chain inspect cover seals. The two primary case bolts that are exposed I tightened, and I assume I will again have to pull the cover to get at the others. It would be great if it were that easy, but my question is, what is involved if I do have to pull the seal to fix it?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
While it might not be intuitive, what you are actually referring to is 'soul'. Or 'character'. We pay a premium for this stuff, you know, and discuss its merits endlessly.

thewater47 said:
Bought my first Harley, a 97 FLHTCUI. It has 54k, but runs and looks pretty good, but I have found some loose bolts and.... yes, a leak. Welcome to hogland. If you follow a straight line down between the jugs to the bottom of where the primary case seals is where it slowly pools and drips. I first thought it was coming from the primary cover, so I replaced that seal, along with the clutch and chain inspect cover seals. The two primary case bolts that are exposed I tightened, and I assume I will again have to pull the cover to get at the others. It would be great if it were that easy, but my question is, what is involved if I do have to pull the seal to fix it?

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Leaks?....Leaks?.......Ha!............

thewater47 said:

....you're worried about a few leaks! Welcome to Hog Land, my friend. You wanna see some leaks, I'll show you my Shovelhead. And, yes, it's got "soul". What can you say about a motorcycle that lubricates it's own rear chain and also marks it's spot in the garage so you know where to park it?

Ha, you're worried about one little leak. Just ride the durn thing! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts