V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happen. I laid it down.

The only major problem that I can see is that the weld for the left foot peg cracked. The other things are mainly cosmetic; i.e. clutch control grip, left handle bar grip, shifter peg and left rear shock. Nothing else seems wrong and runs fine.

My Questions: How hard is it to weld the aluminum frame and has anyone changed the factory shocks? if so, does anyone have one laying around that the would like to sell?

PS should I take it to the dealer because voiding the warranty?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Demar,

I should have added a bit more information. Your options, you can take it to your dealership and have them make the repairs. You could file an insurance claim to pay for the majority of it. Filing a claim may have an impact on your insurance rates down the road, but hell, i guess thats why we pay premiums, have insurance. Or if your pretty good with tools and its mostly cosmetic stuff, you can replace the damaged, scratched items yourself. The section of frame where left peg is located can be removed, unbolted from the bike fortunately, its one of the sections removed for engine drop/replacement. Then peg mount fracture can be rewelded, and you'll have to repaint it or spot paint it after some prep. DO NOT WELD anything while attached to the bike, welding current just might screw up electronic modules or sensors on bike, like ECM, TSSM, ect. As far as warranty impact doing repairs yourself, I cannot answer that. I would think if you can repair it as it was before, they will never know otherwise. But if you lack the skill or confidence to do so, perhaps you might just be better off having your HD dealership do the repairs. We are talking about your $17,000+ VROD here, might just bite the bullet and let them make the repairs. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, glad your ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the concern about my well being, I'm ok except for some small brush burns and my pride. I was very lucky. However, you know your ok, when as soon as you hit the ground that you jump back to your feet to see how the bike is.

And thanks for the info about the frame, I was not planning on doing the welding myself, but I knew I could get it done cheaper by an independent welder than by the dealer at thier labor costs. I will take a look at the frame and see how to remove that section.

\
Thanks again

·
Registered
110 Posts
demar

Did you go down somewhere around Curry Rd?
A Pleasant Hills policeman I know saw me at the Foodland and asked if I was the V-Rod that went down.
Hope thing work out>

Larry

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You can weld on electronic machines, IF you dissconnect the battery first.

There's even a special gizmo on the market that you connect to the battery and you don't need to dissconnect the batt.

Though with that section of the frame being removeable, AND that you will need to paint it...might as well take it off.

·
Banned
914 Posts
demar,

That piece of the frame costs $120.00. Your better off replacing it as I did when I dropped mine. I cracked the same weld as you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Frame replace

I don't know if it's true on the V-Rod, but normally a frame is not just welded together - but is very specifically held in a jig under tension when it is welded.
Ever seen a half-assed chopper that tracks down the road sorta sideways? One cause is that a guy who knows how to weld put it together in his basement.
I think going to anyone that doesn't specifically know motorcycle frames may be a mistake in safety and performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jiggy,

Thanks for the negative input. No offense, but I was not going to have someone weld a whole frame together. I was simply going to have someone fix a cracked weld on a foot peg. I think most of the readers realized that.

the main reason for this forum is for the exchange of info. I appreciate everyones posts and find them very informative. But, I really don't like the insinuation that I am some smuck in a basement with my craftsman welder messing up a 20,000 dollar bike. I may not work on harleys everyday, but I have been working on cars, trucks, motorcycles, and atv's all my life. So, I think I could evaluate the difference between a major component needing the expertise of a professional and a simple cracked weld.

PS Because of the info I obtained from this site, I found out that a mere 120.00 bucks fixes it like new. So Jiggy, thanks again for your very informative, "sorta sideeays" post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whoa

Sorry dude,
Didn't mean to imply you were an idiot or anything. I read something about "welding on a frame" and I merely gave some input.
Speaking as a fool that does get in too deep on a project in my basement I thought I'd share a thought that might save you some big trouble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I share pretty much the same experience as you guys ... :-(

I am on fixing my Night Rod right now. Also replacing the frame section because the peg is bent.

What's not clear to me is the mounting for the engine to that frame section. It looks like it is adjustable. Is that the case? And if so what kind of adjustment is it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Dealer Wont Do Your Repairs To The Frame They Will Replace The Frame And You Will Then Own A"special Construction" Worth Crap And Lose Your Warranty. My Advice Is Strip It Down And Have The Part Welded And Repaint Frame Or Switch To Forward Controls

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mild steel is the easiest to weld usign a MIG or TIG welder. You just got to get all the powder coat off around the crack grind out the crack into a "V" so that you can fill it with fresh weld. A pro should do that though... not a newbie welder. It isn't a big job. You can even grind the weld to be smooth with the frame so that when it is painted it cannot be seen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The frame rails are meant to break at the welds when the bike is layed over on them.It's sorta lke the crumle zones on an automobile,only on the V-Rod,the frame rail crumples to save replacing the whole frame.New frame rails are sold already color matched for each individual model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
where do i find that part, just dropped mine too haha

demar,

That piece of the frame costs $120.00. Your better off replacing it as I did when I dropped mine. I cracked the same weld as you.
If you could send me a link to those that'd be helpful thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts