V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the top end down because of a rapping noise (hoping for a cracked piston) but have discovered front rod big end is wasted. Have no experience in pulling the rest of the engine down and have no idea of any special tools required. Suggestions appreciated on this. Heads are in good shape, slight scoring in both jugs and is probably 1st oversize with 9.5 to 1 keith black pistons.

·
Registered
487 Posts
time to pull the rest out of the bike and find a reputable place to have the bottom end done requires patiance proper tools and knowledge to do up a bottom end correctly. should be able to find the right shop locally and make sure you ask lots of questions

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, down to one bolt and out she comes. I have contacted my other scooter buds for suggestions on shops. Found some new 4340 H beam rods on Ebay (Indian Leftovers) for under $100 but also have question on the crank, what if its scored? do they turn them down like a car or truck and install oversized bearings or are they replaced?

·
Registered
487 Posts
nope not like a car rod sets i usually use S&S Or Jim's i get pre fitted when i need to replace but they come with crankpin cages rollers & Nuts now if the pinion shaft race is torched the race can be replaced and ground to factory spec but if the shaft end or keyway is screw up it's time for a flywheel set complete same goes for the sprocket shaft the stock wheels have the shafts built in one peice with the wheel half i would be a little conserned about ebaying a set of rods altho i can fit them at my shop if you need to replace flywheels complete it would be time to consider possobly stroking it

·
Registered
487 Posts
for the cost of parts Crankpin, races, rollers, cages, nuts, and a key plus labor you can buy a complete rod set cheaper.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok you have my attention. Realize this will be my first HD lower end rebuild and any guidance will be definetley appreciated. I have most of the skills and tools to tackle just about any project and most of my experience is in the 4 wheeled kind but the V-twin looks fairly simple however even with the book I would have felt more confident having assisted in rebuilding one before, I hate when something breaks during disassembly becuase the book skipped over a step thats supposedley common knowledge to remove a part or clip in a certain procedure.

So where do I start first? obtain a good used flywheel rod assembly??? and then just slap it in?

The Cannons are loaded Mr Gridley - Fire at will

·
Banned
871 Posts
Rattpac said:
Ok you have my attention. Realize this will be my first HD lower end rebuild and any guidance will be definetley appreciated. I have most of the skills and tools to tackle just about any project and most of my experience is in the 4 wheeled kind but the V-twin looks fairly simple however even with the book I would have felt more confident having assisted in rebuilding one before, I hate when something breaks during disassembly becuase the book skipped over a step thats supposedley common knowledge to remove a part or clip in a certain procedure.

So where do I start first? obtain a good used flywheel rod assembly??? and then just slap it in?

The Cannons are loaded Mr Gridley - Fire at will
Where to start? Get the proper factory service and parts manuals. I highly advise that you do nothing until you get them, if you don't have them already. If you have a Clymer or similiar manual, put it in the bathroom for emergency toilet paper and get the right books. There are a lot of tolerances that have to be checked before and during installing the parts. If you are going that far into the engine, it will save you a lot of trouble in the future if you carefully inspect (and replace if necessary) everything that you have removed.

If you follow the H-D manual step by step, you should have no trouble doing it yourself. They are very easy engines to rebuild. Read through the entire procedure BEFORE starting it! Have fun! :cheers:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the HD Manual. Yep going to pull it apart, forward rod big end gone. Obtaining a used flywheel assembly (take out) with 1800 miles on it from a engine that went to a stroker kit. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.