V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why we need m/c shops.
I take my bike down to a friend's shop-they got a new dyno.
I figure that I've got enough miles on my bike-let's check it out.
So, we run it. WTF! 76 hp. That can't be right. :mad:
Run it a couple more times, same result.
Man, I'm disappointed. We check the program, check every thing, no obvious answer.
The dyno guy says maybe something came unplugged, or something, so I take the airbox off and look into the injector velocity stacks. Then I open the throttle, look again, and HEY the butterflies are only 1/2 open! So, I take the bottom of the airbox off and discover the problem-the throttle drum is hitting a clamp that holds the pipes for the radiator. I've been riding it at 1/2 throttle all along! I mean, I wanted to break it in easy, but not THAT easy.
So I move the clamp around so it will clear, then out every thing back together. Time to try again.
102.1 hp 71.6 ft/lb
That's more like it!
When we put the stainless hose kit on it, we must have moved the clamp. I don't remember doing it, and as I hadn't ridden the bike yet, the throttle movement didn't seem strange, how would I know the difference?
Any way, I'll just say that it was a different bike when I rode home!

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's just a good thing you found it. So earlier when you said it was fast, it was only doing half of what it could do!!!!!!! WOW, I have to take one for a spin. Hope you enjoy your new found performance.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Buellbomb said:
This is why we need m/c shops.
<snip>
I've been riding it at 1/2 throttle all along! I mean, I wanted to break it in easy, but not THAT easy.
So I move the clamp around so it will clear, then out every thing back together. Time to try again.
102.1 hp 71.6 ft/lb
That's more like it!
<snip>*********************************

Imagine, half throttle and you didn't know. You're right, how would you have know since you were just breaking in the bike.

That's a positive shop/mechanic story!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
That’s great info for us V-Rodders-in-waiting.
I'm having the same mods done to mine when it arrives late Feb and I will definitely be paying close attention to the clearances.
Thanks for the fyi,

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh, BB, not the dreaded braided hose kit? ..........see, if you wouldn't have wanted that nasty skin piercing option, you would have never had the problem.

............moto

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CORRECT! moto

Yep, my poser side came shining through. I HAD to have it, the stock black hose was too cheesy. Even the dealer said the bike should have come with it. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts