V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI -

Just found this site and am glad I did! This is my first post so forgive me if I'm putting it in the wrong forum.

I needed to fill up my tank this weekend on my '99 flhtc which has 13.500 miles on it. I live in a very dry climate and have fueled up many, many times before. This time when I took off the gas cap I found rust on all of the visible parts of the tank's neck or filler spout! I'm really upset and worried that the rust will come loose and fall into the tank and cause problems.

I'm thinking of wiping the area out with petroleum jelly (the rust remover not the kind for your skin).

Would this be advisable?

Will the rust (just looks dusty at this point) cause problems if I leave it there?

How did this happen anyway?

I'm bummed! :(

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've seen this on quite a few bikes. It's more of a rust dust not any heavy rust flakes. Wipe the inside down with a rag impregnated with a little oil now and then. Eventually it will go away.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rust

:D

Wyo:

I hope you don't mean you're gonna try wiping your filler neck down with "Naval Jelly" instead of the petroleum jelly you mentioned. Naval jelly is the heavy duty stuff for cleaning rust and man is it ever vicious on painted surfaces! You don't want to use it on anything that you don't want to repaint!

Ed Y's suggestion about a little oil on a cloth would probably be the best solution I could think of. Just don't use naval jelly on that tank! I've used it several times through the years, but it's a paint killer!

Good luck

:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wideglider -

Thanks for the heads-up on the paint removeing abilities of naval jelly. I will use Ed Y's suggestion, it is much safer and will not cause any long lasting or regretable problems.

Thanks to you guys for helping me out before I ruined my paint with that hair-brained idea of mine. Just goes to show ya that a calm mind is better than something someone in a panic can come up with! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts