V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with the large carbon chips in the exhaust port? I was pulling the right side apart in anticipation of my new cam next week and when inspecting the exhaust port I picked out a decent sized chip of carbon with alot of soot on the port surfaces. The stealer installed map was kind of rich for sure but is this detrimental if I get the motor running properly with the new cam?

:crying:

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it'll blast outa there when I crack it good with a leaner mix?

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I wouldnt say blast but it will eventually disappear. There are fuel additives you can use to cleane it faster if it bothers you.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Just a guess but are your heads black and stock? If so, then I would guess that you are finding chips of the powder coat pealing off the port. When the heads are manufactured, they powder coat EVERYTHING and then machine all the surfaces. Because of this, the combustion chambers, intake and exhaust port are all powdercoated. As the bike is used the fuel slowly removes the powder coating from the intake port. And the exhaust burns the powder coat out of the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're SE Performance Heads. The largest chip was kind of cylindrical, almost like it scabbed off the valve guide.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I agree I would say that it is powder coating just think that with it missing on the intake side that means it went though the engine.!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great!!

:mad:

Gotta wonder why they powder coat the inside eh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts