V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 fatboy keeps fouling out after about 5-6 mos. Sounds good , runs great, but plugs get carbon fouled(completely dry not oil fouled).I run autolite plugs #4265,that I got from Tombstones in Daytona, when they fouled durring Bike Week. Went to Biketoberfest, ran good made it home safely,then plugs fouled again in October.Replaced plugs runs great. Thanks- Mark

·
Banned
871 Posts
mark a said:
My 98 fatboy keeps fouling out after about 5-6 mos. Sounds good , runs great, but plugs get carbon fouled(completely dry not oil fouled).I run autolite plugs #4265,that I got from Tombstones in Daytona, when they fouled durring Bike Week. Went to Biketoberfest, ran good made it home safely,then plugs fouled again in October.Replaced plugs runs great. Thanks- Mark
Have you had the bike tuned lately with a Dyno or at least an AFR meter? That's the only way to get it perfect. Are the plugs gapped as per the factory service manual?

What kind of carb do you have? If it's an S&S, are you using the choke (enricher)? If you are... STOP! They don't work well and will foul plugs very quickly. I only use mine when the temps are well below freezing and then only for less than 10 seconds... enough to get the bike started. I then work the throttle until the bike will stay running using the throttle lock set at 1500 rpm.

What kind of shape is your ignition system in? Coil and plug wires in good shape? Battery fully charged? A weakness in the ignition system can cause this problem.

The heat range you are using is fine. I personally prefer Champions, but Autolites are good, espescially since you can usually get them at Advance Auto with a 1 year or life warranty. I ran them for a while and every spring turned them in for new ones at no cost to me! ;)

Overall, if the things I mentioned are ok, I'd say that fouling once every 5-6 months isn't a big deal. Just change them and keep riding. They are cheap enough to carry a spare pair (which you should do anyway).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts