V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my '03 1200S a couple of weeks ago. From previous metric bikes and a FXRT in '92 I thought I had the enrichener figured out. Three days ago it started popping and backfiring and would barely run. I put new fuel in....no help. I pulled both left sparkplugs and they were extremely fuel sooted. I called my dealer and he said to put in four new plugs (got Champions at the local non-Harley Harley store for about 1/3 price of H-D plugs....same plug). After about five minutes work for the outer plugs and an hour of work getting the center plugs installed, I tried it out. Bingo...ran great....plugs looked great when I checked 'em. The dealer said probably too much enrichener use even though I followed the manual instructions. He's going to check it Friday for any air leaks just to make sure. Anyone else have fouled plug or enrichener problems or tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2002 1200s same deal as you have the stock jet for the cv carb is a 170 main jet aand a 42 slow jet. with this said the bike will run great but mild on power, get a thunder jet kit use the 180 or 190 the 190 will give tons of raw power but will run rich how to solve problem must get a free flow air filter and cover. use the three spacers as in the kit c clip on third ring down with washers on top of needle napa has the ngk dcpr7e nice hot plug but not to hot. try this let me know how it works out for you keep in mind the bike will launch so be careful use the 180 main with the 42 if the 190 is to much power for you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
We all know Trooper kept clicking "refresh" for 9 years until he got an answer. That and posted 6000+ times. Lmao

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you have to use that choke or enrichner ..start the bike and shut off the choke right away....set the throttle to about 1200 to 1500 rpm with the thumb screw dont run the motor on the choke other then to start it period

1 - 6 of 6 Posts