V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here is the deal, My Nightrain had about 3200 miles and started to have to miss at highway speed, I got home and pulled the plugs and the front cylinder had carbon fouled ( it had just about closed the spark gap) . I cleaned the plug and reinstalled it, after 300 more miles it had started to foul again, just on one side,with it being toward the intake valve on the index of the plug. My guess in a valve seal on the intake valve. I have done my own service on this bike, and the only motor mods that have been done is a set of BSS pipes.Now is the dealer going to give me crap or should I fix it my self. I have a fairly good relationship with my local shop and a Dallas shop (the sales dept. with both). If I do it my self it will be a 95'' with head work.Any input?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
When I checked and saw your Train was an 05...and you just added some pipes...no carb kits or DFO .....It's oil from a seal.
So you 've got some free labor and upper end gaskets due ...no time like the present to move to 95"

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
If you have noticed that you are losing oil I would call around to a couple of shops and tell them your problem. I called the stealer that I bought two bikes from and they told me that the consumtion was "normal" and that they would charge me if it wasn't the seals leaking when they tore it down. I called another dealer and now I am getting it fixed along with a BB kit for %20 off with free install~!Awesome! . It may come down to which dealer you talk to.

Also, get the service guys name when you call. That can be helpful if someone else takes your call later.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Had the same problem with my 05 Roadking. I took a flashlight and looked into the plug hole, oil could be seen. I took the bike to my local dealer along with the fouled plugs. After looking at everything and my explaining that I am using more oil than ever, the said it was seals. Tore the bike down, and oil all over the place. Will replace on warranty without any problems at all.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
There is a known problem with seals on 05's.
Your dealer should be aware of it.
I wouldn't think the pipes would be an issue with the warranty
especially if you have a good relationship with them.
Is there somebody there that you can ask before you take it in?

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Takes only a few minutes to put the stock pipes back on. If I were concerned about warranty, I'd just swap the pipes out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
nhrafan55 said:
Ok guys here is the deal, My Nightrain had about 3200 miles and started to have to miss at highway speed, I got home and pulled the plugs and the front cylinder had carbon fouled ( it had just about closed the spark gap) . I cleaned the plug and reinstalled it, after 300 more miles it had started to foul again, just on one side,with it being toward the intake valve on the index of the plug. My guess in a valve seal on the intake valve. I have done my own service on this bike, and the only motor mods that have been done is a set of BSS pipes.Now is the dealer going to give me crap or should I fix it my self. I have a fairly good relationship with my local shop and a Dallas shop (the sales dept. with both). If I do it my self it will be a 95'' with head work.Any input?
Same problem on my 05. Switched to the gold plugs, more expensive but they dont seem to foul as easy so you can get more miles between cleanings/changes. This doesnt address the problem only a short term band aid. I have all the parts I need to fix problem except for PC and head gaskets. They should be here soon. 95" with 37g cams.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Had the same problem with my 05 Train. Dealer did a valve seal job. Pipes were not an issue.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
nhrafan55 said:

Are you losing oil?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts