V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 XLH1200 Sportster. I am considering putting on forward controls.
How difficult is this conversion? Is it pretty
straight forward or a real pain to do?
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's easy. The only hard part that I had was removing the bolt on the right side cover. It should only take you about two hours or so.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your resonses. My main concern was that the studs for the foot pegs on the mid
controls appears to go into the engine cases
on both sides and I was wondering how far
I would have to tear into the cases to get the
studs out and plug the holes.
:cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
The left side all you do is remove the bolts pull off the peg and put the bolts back in. On the right side you remove your exhaust, and lower case cover, remove the kotter pin and remove the peg bolt. It looks hard but if I can do it anybody can.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whatever you do, stay away from the cheapo custom chrome type forwards. I put HD forwards on my '93, and for the money, they're the best way to go. I've had them on for 2 years with no problems at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hell, I have forward pegs on my 883, and am thinking of going back to the stock location. The forward controls are ok, but seem to hamper handling, cause my butt to hurt sooner, and you can't stand up on forward controls.

I guess the ideal thing would be to have both. Just haven't figured out if this is possible.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gado
I am re-considering putting on the forward
controls. I know what you mean about
being able to stand up. I have both the mid-
controls and highway pegs and I would have
been nailed pretty good by a set of railroad
tracks I went over yesterday if I haden't been
able to stand up on the pegs. It's kind of
nice also to have two different positions for
your feet if your going any distance at all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
eagleman said:
Gado
It's kind of nice also to have two different positions for
your feet if your going any distance at all.
Put the passenger pegs down and you have 3 positions. Have done this on long rides and believe me it is quite comfortable.

·
Registered
875 Posts
rwb said:
On the right side you remove your exhaust, and lower case cover, remove the kotter pin and remove the peg bolt. It looks hard but if I can do it anybody can.:D
remove that case cover and you will pull your cams out from under your lifters, bad juju :mad:

Ask me I know from experience!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't know if anyone is interested, but I have a 1200 Custom, came with forward controls. I switched to Kuryakyn forward controls because they allow you to adjust the shiftlever in such a way that you can have pegs in the standard position AND forward controls.

See here:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm looking into putting a set of forward controls on my '02 sport, just wondering why to stay away from the cc type. And what type really is good without spending a small fortune?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts