V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be putting forward controls on for a friend.
If they buy the kit from Harley, is it complete with everything you need?

And is there any tricks to it that I may need to know??

Thankx,,,,,,

·
Registered
338 Posts
VIP said:

Thankx,,,,,,
The HD kit is complete. But you may want new footpegs. It's an easy install and the best thing that I ever did to my Sportster.

Tom :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
VIP said:

Thankx,,,,,,
Easy job, make sure you take off pipes. the only part you may need is a new shifter peg, it may break off. not that Im speaking from experence. good luck

·
Registered
935 Posts
K-POPPY said:
Easy job, make sure you take off pipes. the only part you may need is a new shifter peg, it may break off. not that Im speaking from experence. good luck
Gotta love red loctite. Use a heat gun before hand, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ofnaman1995 said:
What exactly are you referring to when you say "Forward Controls"?
Foot controls (brake and shift) stretched out infront of the rider. As opposed to mid controls being beneath the rider, and rearset controls that are behind the rider.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ofnaman1995 said:
Thanks guys. I hate to ask such stupid questions, but I hate not knowing too.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. Those are the people that make fun of you for not knowing the answer, even though there was a time when they didn't know it either. Seriously... how the hell could you not know that :whistle:

:banmep:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ofnaman1995 said:
I also see a lot of posts referring something to do with a "map" can anyone tell me what this is. Thanks guys.
I'll take a stab at this, as I'll be looking for a new map in spring.
For ignition modules. Fuel injected bikes need the ignition curves modified if engine, exhuast, or intake components are modified. Some caurberated bikes can benefeit from them as well, if they are using an aftermarket ignition module, like the Dakato TC88A.

A properly configured map can improve gas mileage, acceleration, top speed, and elminate pinging; but they are tied to specific bikes and configurations. I think it does the rpm for idle as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Map

Tick, Aren't all Sportsters carbureted? Why would we need to upgrade the ignition module on our sportsters? I'm still confused, please try again.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ofnaman1995 said:
Tick, Aren't all Sportsters carbureted? Why would we need to upgrade the ignition module on our sportsters? I'm still confused, please try again.
Yes, Sportsters are carburated, but not everyone has a sportster.
If you do have a sportster and convert an 883 to a 1200, and increase the compression the bike may start to ping. (The stock ignition module is programmed for the stock engine, and is not adjustable). Putting in higher octane usually helps. If it still pings, switching the ignition module to the SE1200 or an aftermarket will usually fix the problem. The pinging is caused (I think) by the ignition firing being out of sync. With an aftermarket ignition module you can tweak the settings and possibly squeeze out a few more HP, or at least improve the acceleration. Getting it just right is time consuming and usually requires a dynometer to see what is really going on with the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts