V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide "Forward Controls". These are still about 3 inches too short. I see that J&P has some even longer forward controls for the Wide Glide.
Has anyone ever put these on a Wide Glide. I need a more relaxed position for longer Highway trips. My knees get cramped up.
I rest my calf on the foot pegs to allow a different position but at 70 MPH I have to hold my muscles tight to keep my relaxed leg from blowing off the peg.
Any ideas on how to get a more comfortable setup for a tall guy please help.

And if you can help on most all bathrrom toilets, sinks, mirror heights; On all shirt & pant sizes at almost all common stores such as Sears and Pennys, Walmart, etc; AND on door threshholds; And on most midsize inexpensive cars driver seats, And oh Oh how about jet liners where my knees are stuck up my nose so they can get an extra row of seats on the plane? Or motel rooms where my feet hang over the edge of the bed?

Short people have no reason...... And us tall ones don't either.
Just kidding. I'll survive. Sometimes the girls like Long and Tall. I have found that to be a good thing.

T-Wolf

·
Registered
16 Posts
How tall are you? I'm 6'3".

Bought one of the old "King & Queen" seats a few years back. Looked fantastic on my bike, but my enthusiasm quickly evaporated when I sat on the bike for the first time after installing the new seat. I hate being scrunched up - the seat came off immediatley.

"Comfort" trumps "style" every time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 6'5" with a 37 inch inseam. My Long legs are even a little longer with my boots on.
Yes, I have the KuyAkyn page copied out of the J&P catalog for those extended controls. But what I want to find out is has anyone used them. Does it really give you that extra comfort. What happens to the pegs? Can you devise highway pegs into the scheme of things? Or what?
:confused:
Timberwolf

·
Registered
396 Posts
I feel your pain T-wolf - I'm 6'6". The kit Kuryakyn offers is nothing more than brakets that relocate the footpeg assemblies forward. Longer shift and brake rods complete the kit. It looks like it would give you about 3 inches more stretch. I made a similar kit from scratch for my '94 FXDWG (long before Kuryakyn offered a kit). Mine didn't look as good as Kuryakyn's, but yeah, the three additional inches made a big difference comfort-wise. I say give the kit a try.

When my '94 got stolen I got a '95 and this time I had a machine shop fabricate both footpeg assemblies that moved the controls about 3.5" forward and 1" down. I should have designed in a 2" drop instead of 1" for some additional stretch-room. It is WAY better than stock now - my thigh is about parallel to the road when cruising. Of course, if we extended the controls far enough forward where we could stretch out completely, the tire would hit our foot when turning. LOL!

I'm confused by your question "What happens to the pegs? Can you devise highway pegs into the scheme of things?" Take a look at the kit on the Kuryakyn site (scroll down about 3/4s of the page). The pegs are moved forward. Why would you want highway pegs too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Maj,

Yes, I finally took the page out and sat next to my scoot to figure out how this would get put together and then with an instructional call to
J & P it sounded like the 3 inches is what I want.
I ordered the kit. I now see how the pegs are also moved out with the bracket.
I need to get them put on and tested before I go to Sturgis this summer for the rally.
I'll let you know how they worked out in a few weeks.
Wolf

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wolf
I am in the process of making my own footrest extensions for my 2000 FXDWG. I purchased a set of footpegs w/stirrups on ebay for 49.95. I removed the heel rest and replaced it with a piece of 1 1/2 " wide x 6" long (length is up to you) x 1/4" thick steel. In one end i drilled a 3/4" hole, the other end i drilled a 3/8" hole. The 3/4" hole replaces the stirrup heel rest,the 3/8" hole is a mount for the lower footpeg . You now have the standard length footpeg that comes with the new kit and also have a 4" (or whatever distance you decide to mount the more foward footpeg) extension used as a highway peg. i used the original H-D footpeg ,for now,for this foward mount and fabricated a footpeg mounteng cevis that bolts thru the 3/8" hole (this clevis can also be purchased). I also cut 2" off the new top footpeg so the foward peg is easier to access. By now your asking why go thru all the trouble? I have maintained the original brake mount and shifter mount which can be used when not on the open road. This whole extension setup can be removed in minutes and the heel pad replaced if desired. The extension plate can easily be shaped on a bench grinder and painted to suit. If i can gain access to a digital camera i'll post a picture
Earnhardt #3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent earnhardt.
I will print this out and keep an eye on how this 3 inch extension works out for me. Sounds like you've had some success with your design. Thanks for sharing. Now I know why we wave to each other. No one would understand if I had to explain. Thanks again.
Wolf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts