V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that is looking to put forward controls on his Lowrider. He's looked at HD's but you need to take off the primary. No real big deal, but it just adds cost with the oil and gasket. He's now considering going with the Kuryakn. What do you guys recommend who have done this?

Any and all suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by claytp1
I have a buddy that is looking to put forward controls on his Lowrider. He's looked at HD's but you need to take off the primary.
I think the Low Rider, if it deserves its name, ought to come stock with forward controls. And it just seems like there's a design flaw if you have to take off the primary to accomplish it. Sorry, but I can't offer any other suggestions or recommendations. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, there are two ways to do the change over with Harley parts. One is a kit made just for switching out mid-controls. I really don't think a person has to take the primary off for this kit. It leaves the original shifter stub in place (capped off). The other way is to use Wide glide parts. I know this does require removing the primary and it removes the original shifting stub. I think it all depends on how much looking at a cap bothers a person.

Good Luck,

Stash

·
Registered
109 Posts
Stashu11 said:
If I'm not mistaken, there are two ways to do the change over with Harley parts. One is a kit made just for switching out mid-controls. I really don't think a person has to take the primary off for this kit. It leaves the original shifter stub in place (capped off). The other way is to use Wide glide parts. I know this does require removing the primary and it removes the original shifting stub. I think it all depends on how much looking at a cap bothers a person.

Good Luck,

Stash
Mine were installed without removing the primary. The cap isn't noticable.

Sammi

·
Registered
179 Posts
You don't have to remove the primary on the 2006 and up Dyna's
The 2006 kit comes with a longer rear shift lever that requires you to remove the primary to install it. That longer shift lever will give you more leverage for an easier shift, but it will also increase your throw. I prefer the shorter throw and it isnt any harder to shift then the original set up. I bought the the cheaper 2005 kit because I planned on getting a custom shift rod. You have to use a longer shift rod with the 2005 kit other wise the front shift lever will hit the primary when you up shift. Also the 2005 kit comes with a bracket to bolt down the original shift lever, but it is pretty easy to remove, read below.

Removing the original shift shaft lever
Get a hacksaw blade and tape each end with duct tape, leaving about two inches exposed in the middle. Also put some duct tape on the primary and cylinder cooling fins. Tape a wrench on one end to get a better grip (on the end of the blade so as you pull on the wrench you will be on the cutting stroke of the blade). Slip the blade between the primary and engine from the bottom of the bike with the wrench end on the bottom. Use your other hand to guide the top of the blade as you cut. I cut about three quarters thru then wrapped a rag around the shift lever and used vise grips on the other end of the shaft splines and sheared it off.

Cover for the original shift shaft lever hole
I used a chrome carriage bolt http://www.chromebolt.com/51618-x-134-chrome-carriage-bolt-p-845.html, and put a two inch piece of rubber hose on the threads then added some shrink sleeving on the hose to get a nice snug press fit into the empty shaft hole.

Here's a photo with the 2005 kit and a 2006 polished stainless shift rod on my 2006 Low Rider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts