V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone here converted to forward controls? I have a 2002 Dyna Super Glide. I am thinking of putting forward controls on it and was wondering who all has tried them. I would have to remove the engine guard as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will check them out on their website. I rode a friend's bike today that has forward controls. They felt ok but I think I will stick with mids and highway pegs. I like to be able to move my feet around some depending on the situation. Plus, I would take a big loss on the chrome engine guard. I don't see them selling for much on ebay. My wife says I have already spent my limit on the bike for the year...lol. Maybe next riding season I will get some.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys

Just saw this message. I have a T-Sport and am considering forward controls. Most of my riding is in towns (cities) and some nice country roads - not too many highways - I rarely get up to 5th. Plus we have things called roundabouts in the UK. Are forward controls really for long rides? Do they affect the lean angles?

I have the heel rests on my mid pegs and planned to use these on the forward controls. I'll probably replace the original rubber pegs at the mid position.

I'm 5'10.5" Did you ajust the handle-bars? How difficult was it to set up the gear shift?

Thanks for your advice

Dave
FXDXT01

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed forward controls on my 03 Lowrider, I like them better then the mid controls. I takes some getting used to bringing your feet forward when you take off but it becomes automatic after a few rides. Make sure you get some nice pegs to go along with the kit, not the crap they give on a stock FXDL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ChaddersUK,

I use the heel rests on mine. I will still scrape a pipe before anything on the forward controlls would hit.
1. For use on the highway, country roads, or the city.
2. No need to adjust your handle-bars, unless you want to.
3. Safer if you ride with your feet on the highway pegs alot, (no trasfer time from one point to another)
4. Easy to install.
5. I have the kuryankan next generation kit. It offers 2 kits, one for 32" inseam or less and another for 33" and longer.

Good luck, and like mancini said "put em on!! ya'll love em!!"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey habanero,

3 things you can do.

I tell you how I did mine in detail if you want to know.

1: Cut the shift rod shorter. ( I did it and have had no probles of leaks of anykind in over 15k.
2: Tap the hole on the inner primary and install a large plug. ( must revover the inner primary to do this.
3. Just replace the inner primary with one that doesn't have the hole for mid controles. (black or chrome)

#2 is more involved, # 3 is involved and cost you some money.
#1 which I did cost me about 1 or 2 buck not including the new inspection cover.

Let me know if you want the details.
I typed them out once but I timed out and thought it posted but lost it.
I do it again if you like.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
hd2000fxdl,
I kinda figured that I'd have to take apart the primary. I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep the forewards. I like to have another place to move my feet around. I was thinking that if I kept them, I'd tap the hole to plug the inner primary and get a new inspection cover. I just wanted to find out what others have done. Now I know I'm on the right track.
Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have a set of forward factory controls I put on my wifes fxdl. She was too short legged so I took them off after two days of riding. I liked them alot but I don`t know how they would be for long distance but they were pretty cool around town!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally Fitted them

Hi Guys

I fitted my forwards last Friday night - took a couple of hours - had most trouble getting the shifter lever off the spline. Did some minor adjustments on Saturday and took her out for a short ride.

Excellent...no regrets. Occassionally I missed the pegs, but soon got used to it. Also felt the shift was a bit high, had to lift my foot to change down (so fixed that when I got home)

Weather is turning wet here in UK, so might not get many more rides in this season. Although plan to do a bit of simple customising over the Winter (chrome, sissy-bar, more chrome, smoked shield). Some nice bits in the new catalog.

Happy riding

Dave 'Chadders UK'
FXDXT01

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shag,

Try the kuryankan next gen controls. They have 2 sizes, one for 32" inseam and less and one for 33" inseam and more. I love my kist. As far as long rides, they are more comfortable than my old highway pegs. I use the heel rests and it make all the diffrence. I have done 3, 4, to 10 hour rides and no problem at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts