V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping out my front end for chrome. The right fork tube came out with no problem. The left side is stuck. Anybody got any tips for getting it out?

I tried tapping a chisel in the lower tree clamp to help spread it out. That did not seem to loosen it up any. I did not want to drive it in too far and cause any problems. I also sprayed it with WD-40. I tried tapping the lower tree with a dead blow hammer to help get the WD-40 in. I did get a little bit of rust out with the WD-40.

I thought about trying to twist it with a strap wrench, but I cannot find mine.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
moorefun said:
I am swapping out my front end for chrome. The right fork tube came out with no problem. The left side is stuck. Anybody got any tips for getting it out?

I tried tapping a chisel in the lower tree clamp to help spread it out. That did not seem to loosen it up any. I did not want to drive it in too far and cause any problems. I also sprayed it with WD-40. I tried tapping the lower tree with a dead blow hammer to help get the WD-40 in. I did get a little bit of rust out with the WD-40.

I thought about trying to twist it with a strap wrench, but I cannot find mine.

Thanks

Mark
Just wedge the chisel in a little farther and wack the slider on the fender mounting boss and it will come out. I just removed mine on my 04 and both were pretty tough to get out. Keep a bolt screwed in the fender boss so it does not smash it. I was beginning to think that mine were welded in. But a few really solid blows from a dead blow hammer and they came out. I used a screwdrive to drive in the lower tree clamp to spread them a little but i think it is the upper clamp that gets corroded and prevents them from sliding right out because I cleaned the upper clamp really good and the new forks slid right in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got it. You were right, it was stuck in the top. There was quite a bit of corrosion up there. I had to beat the crap out of it to get it out. I did crack the boss for the fender. I was afraid to hit on it that hard, but really did not have much choice.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts