V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out you can't buy Harley specialty tools from the dealer Unless you are a Harley repair shop. I want to buy the HD 41177 fork tube holder to make it easier when changing the oil in the cartridge fork. I have all the other tools but can't seem to get a hold of this tool or it's clone. Been all over the net for hours on end. Tried making one, a fabricator I evidently ain't. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
If you're friendly with your dealer, your service manager can get one for you. I priced out the tools needed to change the oil in the cartridge fork (2003). The tools cost over 400 bucks. I figured I can take my fork tubes to my dealer about 20 times for fluid change before I spend that much money!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think You rearly don need all that stuff to service Your's forks. If you don't need to disassemble all, but only wants to change oil, there is more than one alternative metod listed in this forum nd al seems good ad fast and ablsoultey affordable. For complete service Traxxions has very cheaper stuff, and probably, you can make a fork holder by yourself: giust not use a vice ond the sliders, but the hole of the axle is a sturdier part that you can hold with a rod seame diamtere of an axle. Myself, I am planning to make a good fork press for less than 5 euros (bucks) just soldering a correct shapaed arm on a common car lifter. When, and if, ill' do, i'll post pictures

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the cartridge spring compressor for $129.00 through Race Tech, the adjustable fluid level tool for $25.00, made the rods for pumping the cartridge out of redi-bolt and long nut, except for the crartridge holder I've got less than $200 involved. About three buddies bringing the beer and changing theirs out, I'll make a couple of bucks. Dealer told me he wanted 4 hours labor ($85 per) plus parts. Even if I took them in off the bike I was looking at a $100 bill. My first time paid for the tools anyway and I know it was done right. Better yet, I knew it was done...Period. Annnnnnnnnnd I got to play in the garage all day and listen to tunes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts