V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing out the stock fork springs on my 04 FLHT, and installing a set of Progressive Springs.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for compressing the right side spring to get the nut back on the rod. The tool shown in the shop manual sells for $245.00
(For Spring Compressing Tool HD 45966)

I'd welcome any suggestons.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
make sure your front end is up in the air to take off the pressure. i don't know if your fork springs are that much different than mine. but i just used a 1 inch ratchet and socket and pushed er down and tightened er up. i can't understand how you could use a spring compressor and still get the nut down on to the fork slider.
just a suggestion cause i don't know exactly what your dealing with.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
snowsnyper said:
I am changing out the stock fork springs on my 04 FLHT, and installing a set of Progressive Springs.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for compressing the right side spring to get the nut back on the rod. The tool shown in the shop manual sells for $245.00
(For Spring Compressing Tool HD 45966)

I'd welcome any suggestons.
I use a socket, a long extension, and a short handle ratchet. First, cut a wooden (or similar material) plug and put it into the socket. The plug length should be long enough that ONLY THE HEAD OF THE FORK TUBE CAP WILL FIT INSIDE THE SOCKET.

This plug will keep the threads of the fork tube cap exposed and should make putting the cap on a LOT easier. I hold the fork tube cap in the socket with one hand and guide the cap down to the top of the spring. With my other hand I compress the spring while turning the ratchet. Once the threads engage, you are home free.

An extra pair of hands to push down and turn, is helpful but not necessary.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The electra glide forks are a different critter because they have a cylinder in the right fork with a rod that runs to the top of the fork. The fork spring resides between the cylinder and the nut on top of the rod. There is a horseshoe shaped spacer that goes between the spring and the nut, which the nut rests on and keeps the spring from passing over the it. Trying to compress the spring to get the nut and spacer on has been impossible so far without the dang HD compression tool. The other fork is as you described, and pretty simple to install. I don't plan on doing a lot of fork work in the future so purchasing the compressor tool is unrealistic.

Hate to go to the Harley shop they will probably charge me close to the purchase price of the tool........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts