V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be changing the fork oil on my '00 fatboy soon, and have a quick question about the fork caps. I've read that the top cap does not hold the spring in on newer 41mm forks, that there is an inner nut that holds the spring tension. Does this apply to a '00? This will determine removing handlebars or not. And I'd really rather not.

And please, don't tell me to buy the manual. The manual does not provide accurate information on this question.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
552 Posts
to change the oil remove the plug on the back side of the fork near the bottom. Remove the nut at the top of that fork, oil will drain, measure how much comes out, then put that much back in. I usually add 1 once more than comes out if oil change is unknown and you have like 20,000 on the bike.
If you look at the top triple tree you will see that the fork is 41mm all the way up to the top tree and then it looks like a reducer that goes into the top tree. So when you remove the top nut the spring is still held in there by the reducer= No preload on that nut.
You will notice right away when you ride it the difference in the forks.
You need a proceedure to change springs out for that bike too, let me know I'll send you one that should only take you an hour.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at the top triple tree you will see that the fork is 41mm all the way up to the top tree and then it looks like a reducer that goes into the top tree. So when you remove the top nut the spring is still held in there by the reducer= No preload on that nut.
Perfect, that's exactly what I needed! Thanks a ton! The bike has around 17k on it, and I doubt the fork oil has ever been changed. It is mushy and soggy, and my front tire skips over bumps in the corners. It is waaaay over due. Going to try 20w and see how it feels. Eventually I'll get some better springs in their and a set of cartridge emulators, but for now the oil change will be a huge step in the right direction.

·
Registered
552 Posts
you will see just the oil changes alot of the forks charactoristics.
Not sure what wieght is the best, on the harley I just use the Super E, But on my old kawi H1 i played around with 10, 15, and 20w. The wieght of oil does make a pronounced affect, but you have to try one to see what way you want to go.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I also bought progressive springs for the front of mine, very nice upgrade for sure. 70 bucks for the kit.
I thought about getting the hole carridge, but every time I get almost all the money put away one of the kids call with a problem so I just opt for the spring kit for now, good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a ton Gaff, you've saved me a bunch trouble pulling my bars off just in case. Glad to hear the springs are such a good upgrade. I'll be doing that after I go through the brakes, then after that I plan to just save up and buy a second bike. I love my HD, but I have a sport itch that I can't seem to scratch with it. Wrong tool for the job, I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts