V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my service manual for my 04 Ultra says to change the fork oil every 20,000 miles. What does the 06 service manual say. It seems that 20,000 is too often. Is there a need to change this oil at all? I've been wrong before but would like your input.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I change mine every 10K. Why? Because it's easy and I'm anal.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
My thoughts exactly i do mine every 10k....I would say you should be good til 25k though......

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
TXCHOP said:
My thoughts exactly i do mine every 10k....I would say you should be good til 25k though......
What year is your bike and what is your method of changing it? My Ultra is an 04' and it's a time consuming pain in the azz.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Had to look it up since my bike is fairly new. 2005 Road King, the manual says 50,000 miles.

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geezer, do you have a special method? It looks like a several hour job by the service manual. Any shot cuts would be appreciated.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Got 34k on bike. Bought oil 14k ago. Hopefully will do this year.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
timbo said:
What year is your bike and what is your method of changing it? My Ultra is an 04' and it's a time consuming pain in the azz.
oh dont get me wrong, mine is a pain to do as well...i am just WAYYYYY to anal for my own good...I'd hate to tell you some of the stories of stuff i have done to my bike.....If there were a tq spec for the oil dipstick i would follow it....

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 50,000 miles that Sloxl stated his 05 Roadking manual states sounds more like it but I don't know if the seals break down or why you would need to change it at 20,000 miles. There is no heat to speak of but are there other things that go on in the forks that would cause the oil to break down?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I do mine bout every 10,000 miles. I dont think the oil wears out, but I've noticed some nasty watery oil (probably from condensation) coming from mainly the left fork. I also have changed to a heavier fork oil in hopes of avoiding any future front fender damage from bottoming my shocks in some of these 4 inch deep potholes around here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Rocker said:
I believe my service manual for my 04 Ultra says to change the fork oil every 20,000 miles. Is there a need to change this oil at all?
Not to stir it.... but an interesting circumstance comes to mind.

I being the anal type, took my scoot 1996 to a local dealer. I paid $125.00 for a fluid change and inspection. Since my scoot was a rebuild, I considered the money well spent.

Anyhow, the scoot passed nuster. Then the tech told me that they'd be available for my 20K, And to remember that "they" take care of ther fork oil.

What resukted is that my fork oil is still fine.

Maybe it was the sales pitch or the voice of the salesmen///// but those folks sure struck me as a rip-off.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
timbo said:
i took the cartridge out of mine ,,also added spacers to stiffen ,,,doesnt cost much,,, and the cartridge didnt work anyway ,,they still nosedive and bottom out with it :thumbsup:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Rocker said:
Geezer, do you have a special method? It looks like a several hour job by the service manual. Any shot cuts would be appreciated.
It's a piece of cake if you have a frame lift. Drop the front wheel, fender, and outter fairing. Pull your fork tubes, run down to your local HD, hang out and B.S. with the guys for about 15 mins, pay the service guy, run home, and reassemble. Total time? about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. Did it yourself, didn't pay a ton of $$$ to the service dept. and you get to know your scooter even better.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Rocker said:
The 50,000 miles that Sloxl stated his 05 Roadking manual states sounds more like it but I don't know if the seals break down or why you would need to change it at 20,000 miles. There is no heat to speak of but are there other things that go on in the forks that would cause the oil to break down?

Foaming. Any oil will break down after repeated "usage." Even hydraulic oil. Since mine is lowered, I'm using the SE Fork Oil, a little heaver than standard "E", but helps to keep it from nosing over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts