267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone please confirm:

Type B = 5
Type E = 10
SE Heavy Duty = 15
SE Racing = 20

or is the HD a 20 and the Racing 25??

I've found the jump from E to HD more than I had expected for small, sharp holes.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The stuff that came in the pre 02 baggers from the factory was 10W.
Even going to 15W makes a difference and going to 20W is major.

I can give you a pretty good idea what changing W's does, have no idea what the Harley designations do as I don't use the stuff.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for coming back on that so fast, Hippo.

I found the standard forks underdamped as well as undersprung. In particualr I would get problems with chattering on freeways and unsteady behaviour on rippling country bends.

Upping the oil to the SE HD has helped a lot but may have left the forks slightly overdamped, though things seem to have settled down a bit in the last few days, helped by upping the rear preload a little.

I still haven't managed to confirm my suspicions that I've just moved from 10 to 15 W.

Cheers (and Merry Everything)

Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Almost certain you have. I always liked running 15W and with about 1 or 1.5 OZ above the recommended volume to increase preload. No air.
Then you just have to find the tire pressure where the spring rates of the tire and fork are well matched. For my weight and Dunlops it turned out to be 38 psi. The bike liked to run there.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you look long enough on the BelRay website they used to have a section where it crossed the HD designation to theirs.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll take a look. It's shame it's so difficult to get Bel Ray oil here. I used it in my Triumph Bonnevile (old style) and they got on really well - engine, trannies and forks - not to mention the chain.

Happy Xmas Hippo!

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts