V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where I should have put this post so if a mod thinks it should go somewhere else it's fine with me.


I just got some stock touring fork lowers from e-bay at a great price. I'd got them thinking I could polish them up myself and when they're done I could swap them for the ones on my bike.


There's the typical "brushed" texture on the outside and "pebble-ish" on the inside. What could I do to get the texture off and what could I use to polish them once they're smooth? Would fine sandpaper work for the texture?

Also, there are holes on the bottom of them in the axle cutout. I can see right through them. Do these get plugged with the "innerds" or the axle?

Thanks,
Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
First, the holes you see, are for the damper bolts. The damper is your "shock" in that it is what the fluid passes through to control the ride. As far as polishing the lowers. I would use about 400 grit paper. If that isn't course enough, use the next coursest up. Start fine, and go up slowly. Using too course a paper can cause some scratching that may be too difficult to remove. For best results, after the rough areas are smoothed out, use sand paper to polish the lowers, in varying grits. Use 400, 800, 1000, 1500, etc. Then, use the aluminum polish on them. They will come out like chrome. If you do not use sandpaper, going as low as 1500 grit, they will come out nice, but not pristine. Spend the time, you will be more than happy with the results.

Don
 

·
semi-retired
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
03fxst said:
First, the holes you see, are for the damper bolts. The damper is your "shock" in that it is what the fluid passes through to control the ride. As far as polishing the lowers. I would use about 400 grit paper. If that isn't course enough, use the next coursest up. Start fine, and go up slowly. Using too course a paper can cause some scratching that may be too difficult to remove. For best results, after the rough areas are smoothed out, use sand paper to polish the lowers, in varying grits. Use 400, 800, 1000, 1500, etc. Then, use the aluminum polish on them. They will come out like chrome. If you do not use sandpaper, going as low as 1500 grit, they will come out nice, but not pristine. Spend the time, you will be more than happy with the results.

Don
and when that is done,send 'em off to the powdercoater.polished finishes look great,but are bitch to keep.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awsome! It sounds doable. Where could I find 1000 and 1500 grit? I've never really looked for it but I don't remember ever seeing it anywhere.

And Rob, are you saying to have them powder coated clear? If so you answered another question I forgot to ask.
 

·
I'm Paid Up...
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
Save the money on the clear powdercoat. I've done several of these, and if you put some metal polish on them every 60 days or so, they'll look like new. It takes about 30 seconds a side. To do the sanding, I started with 320, then went 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, then wet 2000. A small file works well for cleaning up the areas where the fender and caliper mounts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of great suggestions here. I appreciate them all. You guys are answering questions I didn't even know I had yet! I'm pretty excited because we still have a lot of snow, salt and cold and more snow on the way so I HAVE to do something motorcycle related! This should hold me over for a while.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
You can get different grit sandpaper at any of the larger automotive chains. Get yourself a sanding block while you are at it, it will be much easier on the hands AND give a much better finish....Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
nauipro said:
You can get different grit sandpaper at any of the larger automotive chains. Get yourself a sanding block while you are at it, it will be much easier on the hands AND give a much better finish....Bill
If you use a sanding block, be very careful. Although you are sanding on metal, you can leave flat spots. It may be harder on the hands, but on round surfaces, it will go faster, and much better, using your hand. Sanding blocks kick ass on flat surfaces though.

Don
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
stratslingr77 said:
Be sure to wet-sand your lowers when the time comes.

I haven't started yet but I will soon. I have a couple questions for you Strat. Earlier you mentioned Jasco paint remover. Where can I get this and is it absolutly needed. Would just using sand paper do it?

Also, when is the right time to wet sand? Is it when I get to the really fine paper?

Again, thenks everyone for the help!:cheers:

Edit:I re-read and saw that Dr. Duece said 2000 then wet 2000 so I guess that's the right time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got started on one tonight. I didn't use the Jasco because I'm not anywhere near a HD now but I think I'll get some for the other one. It does take a lot of time to get the clearcoat off. I'm surprised how easy it is to sand this aluminium. There are a lot of tight corners but over all it's not too bad.

Over all it will be rewarding to get them shined up. I'll post pics sometime when I'm done.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've almost finished one so far. I just need a polishing wheel or something to get the final swirls out but it looks pretty darn good so far. I didn't bother with the back side behind the brake caliper because I have a Custom with solid wheels so that part won't be seen. Besides, there are a lot of tight areas back there. I had some trouble with the "pebbled" area on the back side on top and the feder/caliper mount area because it's not only pebbled but also pitted. A real pain in the asss. But I got 'er!!! Check it out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
FatBobRob said:
and when that is done,send 'em off to the powdercoater.polished finishes look great,but are bitch to keep.
why then do the work? I just sent mine off to the powdercoaters and the coating they put on them was thick enough it completely hid the texture of the metal.
 

·
~~Finder Of Paths ~~
Joined
·
203 Posts
any pics of that seahag? planning on dropping a spare set of sliders I have off at a chrome shop in Corpus Christi TX when I'm there on vac. next week. Imagine powder coating is cheaper wouldn't mind seeing how some turned out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Seahag said:
why then do the work? I just sent mine off to the powdercoaters and the coating they put on them was thick enough it completely hid the texture of the metal.
Did you do clear powdercoat or color?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top