V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use the fork lock whenever I park my V-Rod outside. I have noticed that the lock was becoming progressively harder to engage, and sometimes difficult to remove the key when it was locked. I usually had to pull my gloves off before attempting to turn the lock for fear of scratching the side cover as the key came free.

I put the tiniest drop of graphite oil (not WD-40) in the locks and then worked the key through its motion a couple of times. Both the fork lock and the ignition lock now function extremely smoothly.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Same here, and now the ignition is sticking to. What did you use? Never heard of "lock lube" - is that a brand name?

·
Registered
401 Posts
One of my buds had a problem with his fork lock on his RK (had to replace it twice). It went out on him once in a parking lot. It requires dismantling the headlight nacelle to remove the lock so it can be ridden. What a pain.

Anyway, the HD dealer sold him "Dri-Slide" to use. Has a carrier that takes the lubricant into the lock & leaves a non-sticky polymer.

I used to do some work on locks and used a product called "LP-5". It worked the same way as the "Dri-Slide".

I wouldn't suggest using either graphite or WD-40 as they both leave quite a bit of residue.

Rod

·
Registered
906 Posts
Excellent...thanks for the tip! I wonder if I'll need to try this when the new frame is installed!!

Btw..the new frame is only $1100 :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Fork Lock broke. has this happened to anyone else? The dealer ordered a new one. Does anyone know how it is replaced?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My fork lock gets stuck at the half way point. I make sure there is no "pressure" on tje front wheel ,all the common sense things. It worrys me to the point that I use a disc lock instead. I spent like 3-4 loooong minutes(while I worried) trying to get it undone and the key back out! It is on the top of my "list" as it was my first problem. Good luck to all of us. BobT

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We R/Cers are always looking for good dry film lubricants.

Anything that stays wet is simply a dirt magnet.

We've found a product by dow corning called 557. Avail at McMaster.

It drys quickly and provides excelletn lubrication. Lasts quite a while too.

Should work well in this application as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts