V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 93 FXRS low rider convertible and while I was out last week riding around I went over some rail road tracks and heard something metal skipping down the road I stopped to see if what it was came off my bike and did not see anything so I resumed my ride about a week later my buddy and I were working on it and found the right hand side of the fork by the axle the hex head pinch bolt (axle lock bolt) was missing.
I have tried to find a replacement for it on the internet with no luck at all. What I am wondering is, can I use just any kind of hex head bolt for this for this? Or do I have to get it direct from Harley or one of their stealer ships, or if anyone knows where to get one online. Also I know it’s not safe to ride it like this but a so called Harley said it was safe. Any info would be helpful

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a 93 FXRS low rider convertible and while I was out last week riding around I went over some rail road tracks and heard something metal skipping down the road I stopped to see if what it was came off my bike and did not see anything so I resumed my ride about a week later my buddy and I were working on it and found the right hand side of the fork by the axle the hex head pinch bolt (axle lock bolt) was missing.
I have tried to find a replacement for it on the internet with no luck at all. What I am wondering is, can I use just any kind of hex head bolt for this for this? Or do I have to get it direct from Harley or one of their stealer ships, or if anyone knows where to get one online. Also I know it’s not safe to ride it like this but a so called Harley said it was safe. Any info would be helpful

In the service manual and parts catalog for your bike it gives a part number that is crossed over in the back to bolt size and hardness recommended. If you don't have the parts manual or service manual, a couple of bucks at the dealer to get you on the road doesn't seem that exorbitant to me but then I don't mind spending a dollar now and then at the dealership.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
Hey,

I would go to my local Harry's Ace, or Lowes, buy one of their Stainless Steel bolts to replace it. Install with Blue Loctite and be done with it.

I have been using the Stainless hex head or allen head bolts from Harry's Ace for years to replace my Harley Davidson OEM fasteners. Have never had a problem. IMO they are better quality than the aluminum alloy OEM fasteners that oxidize. I also prefer stainless over chrome.

If I need a Grade 8 fastener I buy the stainless ones from alloyboltz.com.

When you replace an OEM with stainless always use a thread lube such as blue loctite of anti seize. Also the torque specs are a bit less then the OEM fasteners.

http://www.thelenchannel.com/1torque.php

·
Registered
476 Posts
mfalba;2027982 Also the torque specs are a bit less then the OEM fasteners. [url said:
http://www.thelenchannel.com/1torque.php[/url]
'suppose that might be because the don't have
the tensile strength of the OEM part???

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
'suppose that might be because the don't have
the tensile strength of the OEM part???
Torque values are based on fastener size, thread count, the metal they are made of and whether or not lubricant is applied to the threads.

Believe me OEM ain't the be all end all of fasteners. I've had my OEM pinch bolts on my front forks break twice before I replaced them with grade 8 bolts from Harry's. They've been fine ever since.

OEM work, stainless work, Grade 8 Stainless work, chrome work, whatever you want to use, that's why they have choices.

I use stainless because they work well, don't oxidize, are easy to obtain and the tensile strength for most applications is fine. I use grade 8 stainless where needed. A few years down the road they're still shiny and right where I put them.

Believe me, I beat the crap out of my bike, it's driven every day, 365 days per year (no car) and I haven't lost a single part off of it since replacing my OEM fasteners with stainless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts