V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Anywhere from JC whit- to J&P cycles. Or as we all know on the east coast the best place to buy leather is at Bikeweek!!!

I forgot about E-Bay. I bought a 75$ (new msrp) tool bag for my Dyna it was used but looks like new. I paid 25 bucks for that H-D tool bag. On E-bay you might get a H-D brand one for the price of a ????

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
If you decide to install a fork bag, don't put it under your headlight/above your front fender. This can impede air flow to your engine and make your front cyl. run hot. I've seen too many front cyl. fail this way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Wtf!?

Mad Dog said:
If you decide to install a fork bag, don't put it under your headlight/above your front fender. This can impede air flow to your engine and make your front cyl. run hot. I've seen too many front cyl. fail this way.

Good luck.
Where the hell are you finding these posts to reply too? Some of these threads have been dead for two years!?

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
Sorry TheTICK, just ran across it in a 'search'. Never bothered to look at the posting date. My opinion, although somewhat late, still applies, should anyone consider a front mounted tool bag....

But then again, it's the story of my life... "day late, dollar short" !!!!! lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Where the hell are you finding these posts to reply too? Some of these threads have been dead for two years!?
LMFAO i didnt even notice that when reading. Thats funny as hell. Even though its good info mad dog ive never heard that and it seems logical. Im moving mine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok, so not under the headlight, then where the heck are ya suppose to put a fork bag on a Sporty? I can't find any other way to put it on there so please enlighten me. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had to mount mine from the handle bars above the headlight. It is the Willie & Max TP232. I tried to mount it under the headlight but on the 04 Custom under hard braking or hitting any kind of bump it would hit the fender.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I found some $20.00 fork bags at a farm supply store in Brownsburg, IN. They get the job done. I put mine under the head light but take it off when trailering as it will scratch the fender.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Mad Dog said:
Sorry TheTICK, just ran across it in a 'search'. Never bothered to look at the posting date. My opinion, although somewhat late, still applies, should anyone consider a front mounted tool bag....

But then again, it's the story of my life... "day late, dollar short" !!!!! lol
:D No prob. I'm a jerk in the morning... I hate going to the office.

I never heard this before either. I had my old fork bag above the headlight (cause it was banging the fender), but than it was scratching the head light. The new one is below the headlight, but high enough to avoid the fender. I don't see any problem with the wind going around the bag. When the windshield is on, it goes around that ;)

If its really a problem, we should all trade in for some liquid cooled bikes, preferbly with hard storage bags :D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Xena said:
Ok, so not under the headlight, then where the heck are ya suppose to put a fork bag on a Sporty? I can't find any other way to put it on there so please enlighten me. Thanks
You can mount it to the bottom, front of the frame. Behind the wheel, and waaaaay below the horn.

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
If you take a look at my Fatster in the member's ride thread, you'll notice mine is mounted above the headlight. And, btw, although you're right that the windshield does block the air-flow, it is not in front of the motor...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Mad Dog said:
If you take a look at my Fatster in the member's ride thread, you'll notice mine is mounted above the headlight. And, btw, although you're right that the windshield does block the air-flow, it is not in front of the motor...
:D I was making an analogy to the wind still hitting your face with a windshield on. So if the fork bag is in front of the engine's heads, it will still get hit with wind as well.

·
Ironsomething
845 Posts
Mad Dog said:

Good luck.
This is a new one to me.
For one, the front cylinder is below the fork bag. The engine is cooled by air convection (those things called "fins" on the cyls.) and will not overheat even if left idleing for hours. Your lawn mower does'nt overheat does it? Your certainly not moving fast enough for any appreciable air flow, unless you run when you mow your lawn. Air convection.

They call them fork bags because they mount to the fork under your headlamp and above the fender . Where else would you put a fork bag? and if you do mount it somewhere else then it's no longer a fork bag, is it?

:rolleyes: :D

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
Yeah,what rovert said,in that line of thinking your front cylinder blocks air flow to the rear cylinder.My fork bag is mounted under the headlight and there is still a big gap between the bag and the fender.Plenty of air flow remaining I would think.Maybe I should ride in reverse more to allow for better cooling of the back cylinder but than how would I notice people waving to me or not?................................anybody?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts