V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 02 Road King in for 2500 mile service yesterday. I mentioned the front brake scrubbing sound. The tech showed me that the 7/16" hole in the front axle was partly covered by the fork leg clamp. He said the forks needed alignment, and that would lessen the brake noise. Well, the noise is worse, scrubbing a little more than before, and now there is a squealing when brakes are applied. The right rotor was a good bit hotter than the left when I got home, so I assume it is the culprit. I read the section in my shop manual about putting a 7/16" drill bit through the axle hole and then clamping the fork down. What should I do now? Would removing the caliper and pressing the pads in a bit allow them to reseat and stop the noise? Should I put the axle back like it was? I hate to take it back to the dealer and have them mess with it more. I am worried that the right rotor is getting too hot. HELP!!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The axle has to be spaced correctly. You can try and fully retract all the caliper pistons and then pump them back out.
If the noise doesn't stop then there is another issue. The squeal is hard to eliminate unless you use aftermarket pads.
Check the rotors for runout, they get bent real easy when people mess with them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HIPPO, I figured I could count on you. I will try removing the caliper and do the piston thing. The noise really was not that bad to start with, and seemed to be getting better. I should have kept my mouth shut, but the axle spacing was off, so at least that is corrected. If I do replace pads, and I don't mind spending the coin, what should I go with? Kevlar? What brand?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts