V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not going together into the Sportster is a "girls bike" or anything like that because it simply NOT true. What does bug the begesus out of me is the way H-D treats the Sporty as a forgotten stepchild. I just got the 2012 motor parts and accessary catalogue. The treatment the sporty gets is outrageous! If you go into the Screaming Eagle section, ther are"some" hop-up pets for the bike, but when you compare it to the twin cam motor...good Lord, the difference is astounding. Example, for my 2008 1200 there is one muffler for it ( and I am referring the style of mufflers.). I find that insulting. I also, did not find any cams for either the 883 or the 1200 (74 cu.in.). I have noticed that a lot over the years. Anyone else? John. :confused:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It could be that because HD considers the Sportster their gateway bike into the HD experience that they themselves do not provide a lot of power mods. However, I do think it's pretty impressive that there are 6 Sportster models to choose from. And I love that XL1200 Custom that has appeared in some showrooms decked out through the HD1 program. A very cool looking bike!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not going together into the Sportster is a "girls bike" or anything like that because it simply NOT true. What does bug the begesus out of me is the way H-D treats the Sporty as a forgotten stepchild. I just got the 2012 motor parts and accessary catalogue. The treatment the sporty gets is outrageous! If you go into the Screaming Eagle section, ther are"some" hop-up pets for the bike, but when you compare it to the twin cam motor...good Lord, the difference is astounding. Example, for my 2008 1200 there is one muffler for it ( and I am referring the style of mufflers.). I find that insulting. I also, did not find any cams for either the 883 or the 1200 (74 cu.in.). I have noticed that a lot over the years. Anyone else? John. :confused:
I feel that H-D looks at the sporty as a "Lost Leader" (Kind of like McDonalds "Happy Meal") They make their money on the big twins.They get you hooked on the sportsters,hoping for a future purchase of a big twin. Years ago,H-D had a marketing plan of buy a sporty,and within a year,trade it in on a big twin getting full refund on the sporty with the $$$ going towards a big twin purchase. Some of us "Old Farts" here probably remember that sales deal.

look at the 2004 > 2011 sportys.Rubber mounts to make it more appealing,but going cheap on the engine (gotta crack it open to get to the tranny guts) kinda makes you feel like a "no deposit - no return" type of bike. no flame intended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts