V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, thought I would take a minute to intoduce myself to the group. Name is Kevin. Have been riding since a child (minibikes, dirtbikes, first street bike was a triumph 1971 tr6r sold it long ago then bought it back last year and restored). Bought a new 1987 Sportster in 1987.

Here is the sin: it has 4432 original miles on it. Why? Im not sure. Family and children, yada, yada, yada. Bike has been kept up, clean, oil changes, etc. Original Metallic Blue (only color offerred except black for no additional charge in that model year. It is a late 1987 model.

Well I have the bug and the free time now. Am going through the bike slowly to clean, polish, change fluids, lube bearings, etc. Have a trip planned this summer with a few buds from work (about 900 miles in 4 days). Tires changed a few years ago and upgraded to more current style (D401's). Only mods are screamin eagle exhaust, screamin eagle air cleaner, and thunder jet (old style stock butterfly carb).

Want to rebuild carb (and clean), get a larger capacity tank (anybody know if the newer 3.25 or 3.3 tank will bolt on?), and repaint. Might wait till next year for repaint, daughter put a minor ding in tank with her bicycle handlebar. Got the riding bug bad, will catch the last few days of Daytona, and want to get bike "ready again".

So if anybody wants o throw tips/advice/suggestions my way, lets have em. The triumph is runnin and lookin sweet also. Would really like to know about the tank fitment. I am a decent mechanic with the older bikes, and know my way around a paint shop. Don't claim to a pro, just enough to get things done. Nice to meet you all, thanks in advance, Kd460 (Kevin).

Will the V-twin God forgive me?....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hay .... Welcome to the forum.. I too used to have a TR-6 Tigar... Sure wish I'd kept it.... As far as a tank for your Sportster, Check ebay for some tanks and or get a few catalogs... ie J&P Cycles and others on the net... All kinds of possibilites for a Harley.... Hope you enjoy the forum.. and hope you can get some answers for your questions....

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Welcome..
I'm not sure if I can add anthing. It sounds like you're going about things the right way. You should be riding soon.:D I put 7K on my Dyna in 5 months last year...:rolleyes: Don't worry about the mileage, just ride..........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the triumph sure makes em look. A blast from the past, fun to ride for a day, then wrench for a week.

Looking for the factory "peanut style". It sure looks like a bolt on, just wondering about petcock location (clearance with engine mount-original tank has petcock on rightside). Seat clearance might be an issue as well. Just finished the wheel bearings this afternoon. Thanks, Kd460

·
Registered
701 Posts
I mounted the older style tank on my bike and it fit fine.. the new take should be a bolt on. I'm going to be doing some mods with installing the lowrider tank I have for the bike and will give you an update when finished. I have to agree with the rest, looks like you are doing everything right. I hope you enjoy Daytona! Not going to make it this year due to all my funds being dumped into the bike. Get lots of pics while you're there!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, glad to her the older tank was bolt on. Just out of curiosoty, why did you go to an older style (I assume you mean the smaller 2.25 gallon tank)?

Yes I've been watching ebay, just watched a 3.25 gallon peanut that was dented go for around $90.00. Seems high for a dented tank. Will be checking the swap meets as well.

The low rider tank has cought my eye also. Kind of like the old roadster tank. I would like to see the finished results. Think I'm gonna go hells bells and pull the valve covers, strip, polish and re-clear. Starting to look a little dingy. Have to see what a little polish will do.

Going to visit the folks in FLA, stopping off in Daytona for an over nighter along the way. No bike with me, but I'm sure it will be fun anyway. Thanks, KD460

·
Registered
701 Posts
Actually, the original tank was the same size but was a rubber mounted tank instead of the solid mount. I do believe the larger tanks have the same mounts but are longer in the back. As for the Lowrider tank, here's a pic of an '87 that we did a few years back with the larger tank. was really great when doing a lot of cruising.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, that looks good!!!. Was able to "maybe" strike a deal with someone at work for a 3.3 gllon for $75. Will check it out after my FLA trip. Noticed Harley sells an install kit for doing exactly what I am doing. It looks like just a deeper (longer) coil mounting bracket and tank hardware . Not sure if I need a dfferent gas cap or not.

I noticed you have the breahter re-routed to the back, what are you using as a breather element? I also noticed you are using a newer model rear fender. That looks good. Very nice job. Will probably go with a shorter handlebar as well.

Posting on the run, may have a few more questions later, thanks for the info/reply, Kd460 (kevin)

·
Registered
701 Posts
All the bodywork was off of a Lowrider including the rear fender. As for the breather, I never really knew where it went since I didn't really do any work on the bike except for some minor transmission work and the typical oil changes. I take a look at the 88 motor i have in the garage and see where that's routed. I think we had that engine set up just about the same way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts