V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a 95" build with stock heads and I was also planning on the Andrews 37G cams. Should I use the screamin' eagle cast flat top pistons
(9.4:1) or the screamin' eagle forged Hi-Comp pistons (9.6:1)?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Use the cast..and you're going to be lower than 9.4 or 9.6...H-D's stated compression numbers dont seem to be too accurate...a little optimistic.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I used the forged to get my comp right. NO! I didn't need forged! But already had my heads done and didn't mill em for compression and didn't want to disasemble em and have em shaved and the cast high comp are too high and I wanted to use stock HD pushrods so I used the forged. Cost me less cuz didn't have to buy pushrods or pay for disassembly and milling and now I have forged pistons and one of the most impressive tw37/95" builds around...
But that's not cuz of the pistons, that's from the AWESOME BigBoyz Heads!!! According to my builder.....
And my tuner....
Do yourself a favor, spend the three bills, you won't be sorry, I promise....

....and YES, this was debated ad-nauseam recently....

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Anytime I've ever built a motor I've always installed forged pistons. Have I always had to? No. But I've always wanted to. I wouldn't do a build and run under 10-1 C.R. It's a waste of time in my opinion. I always run High Octane gas in my bikes, even stock, and if I can't get it octane booster is cheap enough. The reason I use forged pistons is 'piece of mind'!! If I'm spending the money to bore cylinders, get a gear drive cam, have the heads done, etc, I'm gonna spend the extra $100 for a set of forged pistons. Basically what I'm saying is it's all about preference. There are plenty of motors out there running cast pistons and doing very well. I just prefer forged. And I've never had any that knocked for more than a second or two untill they warmed up. Actually, I've never noticed it. Just my -2$en#e-

:sofa:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adlerx, Which pistons did you use with your build?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After reading the information from the link Springer supplied, I think my best bet to have a reliable, torquey 95 build is to go with the SE cast flat tops and Andrews 26G.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts