V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some research on buying a forcewinder style breather. I found that wimmer machine http://www.wimmermachine.com also makes something similar.
Wimmer's looks to be of better quality. Wimmer also has the breathers to collect any oil that may be vented out of the head/rocker boxes. I am leaning toward the wimmer machine version HPRA9-S .

One of the things I discovered while doing the research on the forcewinder was the problem with the float/bowl vent tube. This is info I have found on the net.

The Forcewinder on the left is an older one. Notice how the bowl vent area
is cast right into it. The Forcewinder on the right is a newer one. Notice
how the bowl vent is a machined slot that comes in to the airstream at 90
degrees.

The ONLY difference between those two pulls is that the blue one is before grinding out the bowl vent area and the red one is after. Also, and this is critical, the air/fuel meter shows LEAN when the unmodified Forcewinder is used. The bowl isn't getting vented properly and the fuel can't come out of the bowl properly. So ignore this issue at your own peril. It's not a case of misalignment between the slot and the bowl vent. In both cases, the indentation of the machined slot was plainly visible in the gasket, and it extends right up to the carb's bowl vent.

So my question is anyone out ther running the wimmer machine setup? Are you having any of the problems as listed above? What kind
of opening for the vent is built into the wimmer setup?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I too am looking at installing the Forcewinder on my Sporty. I really like the aggressive look of it and it will fit right in with the Street tracker look I'm trying to acheive.

I looked into the Wimmer set up myself but found the cost way to high. Its almost three times more money for basically the same product, albeit the Wimmer is much more flashy (nice machine work).

Where did you find all this info at?? I'd really like to read some the same data your looking at.

Thanks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If Misguided saw the info from where I did, I think he originally got it from www.Sportster.org. Warning: This is not a SPAM LOL. The article was posted on another forum though. Just a guess on my part. :)

You should check it out, there is amazing info on there about Sportsters.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey Misguided,

I like the Wimmer. I like the fact that you can swap it out with a Velocity Stack. Yea, yea, I know the dangers of using a stack, but if you can swap it out with the filter, which BTW, also looks pretty damn cool, why not? Plus, you can add a screen to the stack to keep out the really nasty stuff. I would think for short trips, or times when you feel a little showy, adding the stack to it is a cool option. Price is just a matter of how you feel about the look. Isn't that what you are really buying here? At least it isn't a Hypercharger. :D

As for the venting problems of the Forcewinder or what the Wimmer does, I have read all the same stuff you probably have and have little else to add.

I would say to call the companies to find out, but what do you think they will say "Oh yes, our products harm your motor and suck [pardon the pun]"? Not likely. LOL Also, on the other side of the coin, the article you quoted was one person's observation of a few examples. I'm not saying the findings are not valid. Just saying that it's not 100% conclusive. I would be interested in finding out what other wrenches have seen with the Forcewinder added. Especially ones that have seen the older Vs newer version.

Is there a factory wrench on the board that will give us a frank answer and not just company-line propaganda? I would think the MoCo mechanics have the most experience with the different types of aftermarket products. Does anyone know one that will say something to you "off the record"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VincentH said:

I looked into the Wimmer set up myself but found the cost way to high. Its almost three times more money for basically the same product, albeit the Wimmer is much more flashy (nice machine work).
Just like paint jobs you get what you pay for. With the wimmer you also get the very nice breather set up which does not come with the forcewinder

VincentH said:

Where did you find all this info at?? I'd really like to read some the same data your looking at.
Thanks.
Here , this info is on a stock carb, dont know how it applies to an S&S Carb

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey misguided,
Would you be interested in taking a brand new Forcewinder set up off my hands??

I got it for Christmas but I'm not sure I like the way it looks on my Racing Style XL883R. Wife bought it brand new on E-Bay, never used.

Make ya a heck of a deal. ;)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sending you a private mesage.....................

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sent you a reply.... thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts