V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently bought a 2010 Custom pro street softail. Evo S&S big bore head kit, S&S super G carb, which I guess none of that has much to do with my question.

I took it to my local indie shop which has a great reputation. I'm going to need new forward controls, new front tire (big one), he's going to have to track down an electrical issue, because my battery isn't charging when riding (I suspect the regulator because it was loose and arcing on the frame) and adjust the carb. Plus the clutch was slipping a bit. Anyone care to ball park what price I might be looking at?

·
Registered
268 Posts
To much! Get a service manual and do it yourself, it's not really that hard.

Reactions: EVO_FXR

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To much! Get a service manual and do it yourself, it's not really that hard.

You're right that'd be ideal but I don't have the tools to do it all. He's also going to have to stop an oild leak from the crank case. I'm looking at about 1k total.

·
Registered
16,961 Posts
He's also going to have to stop an oild leak from the crank case. I'm looking at about 1k total.
Where, exactly, is it leaking from the crankcase? Most leaks develop at the primary or trans.

And with what you save on paying a mechanic more than pays for any tools you have to buy.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where, exactly, is it leaking from the crankcase? Most leaks develop at the primary or trans.

And with what you save on paying a mechanic more than pays for any tools you have to buy.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
I'm sure it's the primary, you do have a point about the cost of tools though. I'm just not that mechanically gifted, I watch videos and read up on it then it's like when I get started on something I go brain dead. Still for what I paid for the bike another grand to get it all buttoned up, I'm still to the good. Either way I do need to up my tool game.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Can't beat having a good INDIE, they are worth the pay to me, if I had one

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
I had a indie I used for years for tire changes. He worked on harleys and metrics both so I didn't think much about taking my bike in the spring after it didn't run right. He said he cleaned the carb and if it didn't clear up he would do the valves. So I took it to a lawnmower atv mechanic who said the carb had never been removed since new and the other guy just sprayed carb cleaner. I found a new indie. After buying a harley he said he didn't work on those, but directed me to an indie that does. I have been happy ever since.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts