V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to install the Screamin'Eagle stage 1 air filter & breather when I found that the plastic backplate has a sort of "partializing" valve. This valve is connected to the bike through wires and plugs.

When you've installed the SE a/c where did you put the wires?! What have you done with them?! Just disconnected?!

here's the valve:

ciao...

F

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
I'm really curious to read the responses as well since I'm planning on doing my replacement at home. I really don't want to leave anything disconnected (or otherwise rigged, for that matter).

Whiff

·
Banned
154 Posts
I don't see anything like that in the opening of my air cleaner! I just went out and took a look. Curious as to why yours has it?

Mine is also an 06, and I will be installing the SE AC as soon as the other parts come in.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i changed the air cleaner on my 06 dyna. there was a connector at the back of the football, but no flap.
btw---------the dealer couldn't tell me what the wire connector was for, now i know!!!!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
That's the new emmisions stuff! It says in the maitenance manual that models made for international sale will have this valve in it. The ones made for in the states sale don't have this valve. But the wire is still there on our just not hooked up. Just find a way to secure it up and do the air cleaner change! And hope that the computer doesnt care if its hooked up or not. I'm sure it will tell you if it dosent run right....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whiffleboy said:
But Pippeis is in Italy. Aren't they a little more liberal about that stuff over there?
not really actually... we do not have carbureted harley davidson (except XL, of course) anymore due to emissions...

Anyway, it seems that it is for int'l models only.

My dealer told me to leave the stock a/c. I'll probably just replace the paper filter with a k&n

I told the dealer to recalibrate the ecm and we did it with the '06 dyna stage 1 download but the trap door is still working. Maybe it wont be a good idea to remove it even if it seems that it works only with the enrichener.

Sorry about this kind of xposting with the tech forum. At least we're talking in two different direction... dynas questions here and tech questions there :yes:

ciao...

F

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pippeis said:
not really actually... we do not have carbureted harley davidson (except XL, of course) anymore due to emissions...

Anyway, it seems that it is for int'l models only.

My dealer told me to leave the stock a/c. I'll probably just replace the paper filter with a k&n

I told the dealer to recalibrate the ecm and we did it with the '06 dyna stage 1 download but the trap door is still working. Maybe it wont be a good idea to remove it even if it seems that it works only with the enrichener.

Sorry about this kind of xposting with the tech forum. At least we're talking in two different direction... dynas questions here and tech questions there :yes:

ciao...

F

Pippies, i'm from Israel.
i don't understand, what do you mean it only works with the enricher?
to my understanding, this flap shuts off the intake port when the bike is off, no?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bobber rider said:
this flap shuts off the intake port when the bike is off, no?
no. it is opened when I'm riding fast. I don't know the exact speed that makes it open or close...

ciao...

F

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Harley Davidson international models have unique backplates. A different intake with a solenoid-operated trap door assembly at the mouth of the intake and a solenoid connecting fitting on the backplate.

The solenoid is controlled by the ECM. The valve opens to allow more air to enter at speeds greater than 70 km/h with a throttle opening greater than 50%.

/Dan B

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dan B said:
Harley Davidson international models have unique backplates. A different intake with a solenoid-operated trap door assembly at the mouth of the intake and a solenoid connecting fitting on the backplate.

The solenoid is controlled by the ECM. The valve opens to allow more air to enter at speeds greater than 70 km/h with a throttle opening greater than 50%.

/Dan B

well. do you think that the when ECM regulates the fuel flow it takes into account the reduced air intake capability when the trap door is shut?

does this mean that if we remove the trap door (while leaving the solenoid to run on blank to avoid codes) we will have lean conditions in 1/4 throttle and/or under 70 km/h because the ECM thinks we have reduced air inlet ??

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Its a speed/density system, so the ECM monitors among other parameters the air manifold pressure (via the the MAP sensor) to manage fuel delivery. The ECM use this parameter to calculate how much air is entering the engine.

So I believe that there will be no lean condition letting the the trap door open. But that depends on how the lookup tables (in the VE, volumetric effeciency, table) for this condition is set in the ECM.

On the other hand I guess that there is no effect to gain in air speed/pressure at lower speeds with trap door open because of the lack of "ram effect" (pushing the air into the engine).

All above is my own interpretation. I might be wrong.

/Dan B

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dan B said:

/Dan B

Can I ask you where did you get these informations?! I've been looking around and calling HD Italy to know it but nobody found anything interesting about this problem...

Actually, it is a problem only for me... :hmmm:

Maybe I'll have to get back to stock ecm because it seems that no reflash has been developed for international models... :nope:

Even PCIII wont help as it only comes with the O2 sensor eliminator...

ciao...

F

·
Registered
34 Posts
Use download 34237-06, Hi flo for efi 29440-99c and I used the tapered mufflers 80061-00, my 06 FXDCI purrs like a kitten

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are presenting an unusual configuration to the ECM that is going to cause the engine to run correctly (but with little improvement) at LOW speed and then very LEAN at high speeds. The SE air filter setup is designed to pass a larger volume of air thru the intact but without reprograming the ECM (which does not sense airflow) the increase in air will lean out the mixture. With the intake flap you have (also in California) the mixturwe will return to about where it should be. Net gain for the SE filter equals zero! However, at high speeds, when your flap opens, the mixture setting plus the incresed air flow will result in a lean condition. This would occur with a K&N filter as well.

The whole discussion of installing some pieces of the Stage 1 kit is elsewhere on this forum, but the fact that you have the restrictor flap makes it that much more important that you look at all the angles. There are some who seem to think that they can get away with just a filter change, but I would rather start at the exhaust end as this will help power without inducing a lean condition. I would rather get poor mileage running rich and know I am not frying the cylinders running too lean. I would recommend getting all the pieces (air filter, pipes, and reprograming) as I am sure HD has the correct ECM map for your bike. It may be a different map entirerly as it must also control your flap, then again maybe not, as I have the harness lead (US bike) but it is not plugged in, simply tucked behind the intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Hi Pippies,

Its from the Dyna Service manual (section 4-3).

/Dan B

Pippeis said:
Can I ask you where did you get these informations?! I've been looking around and calling HD Italy to know it but nobody found anything interesting about this problem...

Actually, it is a problem only for me... :hmmm:

Maybe I'll have to get back to stock ecm because it seems that no reflash has been developed for international models... :nope:

Even PCIII wont help as it only comes with the O2 sensor eliminator...

ciao...

F

1 - 20 of 21 Posts