V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the MoCo has pi$$ed you off beyond recognition; quit buying their stuff

If you own an HD, and you can't stand it; SELL IT AND DON'T BUY ANOTHER ONE

If you're in the market for a bike but you can't get over the low power, bad handling, bad mileage, lack of accessories from the showroom floor, money you gotta spend to make it rideable, blah blah blah, THEN GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

If you're riding something else because you chose to buy it, then KUDOS to you.. Enjoy what you ride and quit bitc#ing.

The ONLY ones who have any right to "complain" are the ones who've done just those things.. Actually put your money where your mouth is and acted on your emotions and wallet, and done something to "make" the MoCo hear you.. ie: bought another brand of bike..

I assure you, if ENOUGH people share your thoughts, emotions, and fortitude; then they too will quit buying from HD and the point will be taken..

I love my RK with all of its quirks, problems, squeaks, rattles, vibrations, taps.. LOL

And I hope you love yours..

But for the past week it seems that the only posts on this great forum are people bitc#ing about the bikes that HD is building..

Come on guys, can't we all just get long?
:dh: :dh: :dh: :dh: :dh: :dh: :dh: :dh: :dh: :dh: :dh:

·
not sober all the time
5,864 Posts
So if you buy a bike with quirks, problems, squeaks, rattles, vibrations, taps, then you should love it and not complain? Or if fairing brackets break, wheel bearings go bad, the crankshaft scissors, wires break behind the fairing, etc. we should just fix it and ride without saying a word unless we sell it and buy another brand? I guess if unemployment goes to 12% we should not complain unless we move to another country first. Why didn't I think of that? :redrolf:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
But for the past week it seems that the only posts on this great forum are people bitc#ing about the bikes that HD is building..
I agree with you wholeheartedly, but want to suggest that you ignore these posts and move on to others that favor you better. Seriously!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey DTCOOPER, I agree with you 100%. One thing I've always wondered is if Harleys are such pieces of sh*t, why is everyone in here still buying 'em and ridin' em? As for me and my bride Harley is our only choice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I do bitch about the new HDs but I LOVE my REAL HD and the real ones aint been built since 1984.
Ride you tin can HDs and love them but when you see a grand old Shovel,Pan or Ironhead show them respect.these guys are what it is all about.
Now the Twin Cams are what pushed me to the OTHER American bike:dh:

·
Registered
793 Posts
as stated before, I have way to many HD specific tools to just dump them. I also know they have areas that should be improved and as such say so. no sense in acting like its the most superior machine out there , its not. its only in the past decade that I have really had a choice of another brand. I try and support the american companies first. prior to 98 and victory, I had no other choice that was not limited in its design as a clone to HD. now should I sell what I spent the vast majority of my money making the way it should have been when I bought it? no I will voice my educated and factual opinion of the machine and hope someone is listening. you think sitting back quietly got them to build 80 inches over 74? 88 over 80 or 103 as compared to 96? I dont. what I do think is, folk that dont like to see it should ask why do you think its a better machine? have you spent any seat time on another brand? I have and as such can say without a doubt, there are better bikes out there. it dont mean I want one, just that I am honest about admitting it.

p.s. I have a collection of 21 rides plated(only 1/3 are HD) to ride so I can take my pick by day.

·
Registered
793 Posts
it brings to mind, should I sell my old 2 stroke bikes because I know there are better? nope, I still like riding my old kaw 750, my rz 350 is one bad ride and super light, how about my rg500 suzuki? all fun in their own respects with better available, but they are not for sale just yet. :coffee:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Is winter time already here for some of you? Damn, if the posts piss you off dont read them and if you do take it with a grain of salt.......jezz.

I am going riding.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i agree. vote with your wallet.
that said, there is nothing wrong with consumers taking a manufacturer to task for a sub-par product.
as for why people bitch and buy, harley is a fashion brand. many customers simply purchase the status they believe h-d provides.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Never could understand why anyone would want to bash a Harley Davidson motorcycle.Never will!!
Pretty simple, when you spend $35,000+ and find out it isn't what they claim it is and all you get from customer service and the dealer is thats normal, one tends to get a little disgruntled.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i agree. vote with your wallet.
that said, there is nothing wrong with consumers taking a manufacturer to task for a sub-par product.
as for why people bitch and buy, harley is a fashion brand. many customers simply purchase the status they believe h-d provides.
@gree: couldnt have said it better

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
anyway..i'm not trying to sell a harley and really don't care what others
think. i'm aware of the bikes shortfalls. if you buy one you know what you're
getting into or at least you should.

got a co-worker that has a roadstar, similar cc to my bike, a bit newer, v4
liquid cooled. he's done the same basic mods i have (wonder why) and talks
about similar maint issues i do....i'd rather ride mine, any flippin day.

btw...who's paying 35k for a new bike? thats two brand new dinas last time
i checked but it's the only line i follow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay guys, maybe I came across a little harshly.. LOL
I agree that if you spend that kind of money on a bike, you want it right..

But if we know that's what they're building, and we continue buying them, aren't we to blame for the lack of quality and workmanship ?

Had I paid 25k for my roadking, instead of buying used, I might be a little more upset too, having to add accessories, cams, tuners, etc, to make it run and drive the way I want it to..

But with that in mind, doesn't every single one of them run from the dealer when bought new? Has HD professed any miraculous numbers that their stock bikes produce, and then don't?

I guess as with all things, I feel that it's caveat emptor.. You buy a beautiful HD (which ever model that may be), and it's running when you bring it home.. It may not run the way YOU want it to. But hasn't it been discussed about the EPA regs, and such, that keep them from building them to run "right"? (And we all know that "right" is a subjective term)

I mean hell, go car shopping.. They tout 28 mpg on some truck.. How much money do you have to spend, and how do you have to drive it, to EVER get that 28 mpg out of it?

I guess I've never known a cult"ish" product that will make people spend their hard earned dollars on something, that so vehemently hate...

And as far as getting along with me, that's okay Joe.. My feelings ain't charred..
However, I think from your signature, and recent posts, we have a lot more in common than you might believe..

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
I do bitch about the new HDs but I LOVE my REAL HD and the real ones aint been built since 1984.
Ride you tin can HDs and love them but when you see a grand old Shovel,Pan or Ironhead show them respect.these guys are what it is all about.
Now the Twin Cams are what pushed me to the OTHER American bike:dh:
So because I ride a "fake" harley I am Rodney Dangerfield? (deserve no respect?)

Sorry, I like my twinkie MUCH better than my previous '80 shovel. I bought both bikes used, and if I recall, the history of the shovel was worse than the twinkies, but the shovel was a real HD?? Funny, when the evo came out, they said the evo's are now the real HD's and the shovels were AMF's.

Enjoy your vic, I will continue enjoying my "tin can" for many more years.

thanks,

rkc

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I hear what you are saying DTCOOPER. My Harley is not a perfect bike by any means, and frankly, I think no such perfect bike exists. But given everything else, I am VERY happy with my choice! :woohoo:

Some somewhat related thoughts:

1. This whole deal about blaming the EPA - since all bikes are subject to the same regs here in the US, unless Harley is going liquid cooled, I don't see this as being a valid complaint.

2. Quality - I've had a couple of other bikes, so I am no means an expert on this, but I think the HD fit and finish is very high. Yes, some random parts that I wished were of higher quality, but overall, I think the bike is of high quality.

3. Aftermarket Availability - Part of the problem (and it's a good problem) is the massive amount of aftermarket possibilities. With an HD, you can upgrade to better parts. With other makes, it's much harder, so you are kind of stuck with what you got, and you live with it.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
anyway..i'm not trying to sell a harley and really don't care what others
think. i'm aware of the bikes shortfalls. if you buy one you know what you're
getting into or at least you should.

got a co-worker that has a roadstar, similar cc to my bike, a bit newer, v4
liquid cooled. he's done the same basic mods i have (wonder why) and talks
about similar maint issues i do....i'd rather ride mine, any flippin day.

btw...who's paying 35k for a new bike? thats two brand new dinas last time
i checked but it's the only line i follow.

You must mean a Royal Star Venture. They are a touring bike, looks a bit like a Glide. A Road Star is a 1700 CC V-twin, and it's air cooled.

Agreed about similiar complaints, I've owned four brands of bikes, and all owners complain about the same things! Nobody ever thinks things are cheap enough, fast enough, shiny enough, black enough, etc...

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
i agree with you but it's like watching the news on TV...it's all bad news some days, and that drags you down. I just don't read the downer posts anymore. Too many peoples experiences lately with H-D apparently been lacking.
I WISH i had the scratch to buy a new 35K SE Street Glide and then i could bitch about everything. Instead i have an 11 year old Road King thats been thru two or three facelifts and almost 60,000 miles that i bought a few years ago used with low mileage on it. I love my bike and working on it too. My experiences with three HD's over the last 12 years (two evos and a twinkie) have been pretty fun and rewarding. But then again, i've never left any of them stock for as much as a minute, gotta make it my own....
I'm sure this isn't my last Harley by any means...
Tim

1 - 20 of 34 Posts