V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PHP:
check it out Gary Kasparov thinks he can run in the russian election.

He's gonna give russian democracy a shot.

I hope Putin doesn't checkmate him with some of that radioactive poison!

Kasparov Joins Russian Presidential Race

Sep 30 01:21 PM US/Eastern

MOSCOW (AP) - The former world chess champion Garry Kasparov entered Russia's presidential race on Sunday, elected overwhelmingly as the candidate for the country's beleagured opposition coalition.
Kasparov has been a driving force behind the coalition, which has united liberals, leftists and nationalists in opposition to President Vladimir Putin. He received 379 of 498 votes at a national congress held in Moscow by the Other Russia coalition, coalition spokeswoman Lyudmila Mamina told The Associated Press.

Kasparov's place on the ballot was not assured. His candidacy still needs to be registered and could be blocked.

He was followed by Sergei Gulyayev, a former member of St. Petersburg's Legislative Assembly, who received 59 votes, and former Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov with 18, Mamina said. The coalition was chosing among six candidates who had won regional primaries in recent months.

The Other Russia also chose Kasparov to be one of three candidates to head the coalition's list in parliamentary elections in December.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
aah, the old coalition gambit.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Maybe Gary should be playing chess with Ralph Nader?

The coalition, however, has virtually no chance of participating in the election for the State Duma, the lower house of parliament.

Only registered political parties can take part, and none of the political movements that make up the Other Russia qualify.

According a recent opinion poll, only about three per cent of Russians say they will vote for the Other Russia.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/38520A73-9BF7-45F4-8030-0D5159977EAC.htm

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
knuckleheader said:
first time i read aljazeera english

it felt creepy
It never ceases to amaze me how narrow the American media is. I find that if I don't look at non-american media I can be completely misled by them. I think Al Jazeera offers a view from the mid east that the American media completely ignores.

Example from today's headlines (how much of this made your evening news?)

#1. Al Jazeera's Yvonne Ndege speaks to residents of Kano in Nigeria who claim a vaccine, manufactured and adminstered by US pharmaceutical giant Prizer, was responsible for the deaths of local children, as hearings resume in a Nigerian lawsuit against the firm.

#2. Israeli security forces have opened fire on a crowd of Palestinians waiting for 29 prisoners freed by Israel to cross into the Gaza Strip.

Shots were fired into the air when the crowd surged forward to greet the men at the Erez crossing "and when they didn't stop, they fired at their legs," an Israeli military spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

#3. Pakistan has agreed to grant Benazir Bhutto, the former prime minister, amnesty from prosecution over corruption charges, a cabinet minister has said.

Bhutto, who is set to return to Pakistan from exile on October 18, had demanded the charges be dropped as part of a power-sharing deal she was negotiating with Pervez Musharraf, the president.

#4. Israel has confirmed that its air force carried out an air raid inside Syrian territory in September - after remaining silent on the issue for nearly a month.

Israel said on Tuesday that its warplanes had conducted the attack deep inside Syrian territory on September 6, saying it attacked a "military target".

#5. Glasgow Rangers's perfect start to the European season continued when the Scottish runners-up scored a stunning 3-0 victory at Olympique Lyon in the UEFA Champions League.

Walter Smith's side, who beat German champions VfB Stuttgart 2-1 two weeks ago, are second in Group E with a maximum six points from two matches.

LOL, I like that last one best....must be cricket? :)

Funny, how none of that made it to my news tonight..all I heard was about Hillary, Britany, Isaiah, and O.J. Who knew there was real news out there?

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
DJW said:
It never ceases to amaze me how narrow the American media is. Who knew there was real news out there?
Al Jazeera, ROOZ, BBC, Deutsche Welle, UPI, CNN at least five days a week, mostly just to catch the headlines and compare viewpoints. Same events, different slants, interesting times, keep many grains of salt close at hand.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't misunderstand me

it really was the first time I've read aljazeera

just never came across it

I appreciate the quotes but, hey it's aljazeera. you think they would report

truthfully, how and why Israelis fire their guns??

anyhow, now with the internet, i'm expanding my material

DJW, keep doin what ya doin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts