V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still waiting for the oil filler for the 2002 set up to see if it will cure the carb pucking - will let you know if it helps when it gets here. On another note.

'99 FLHT plans are for 95", S&S pistons (10:1), S&S heads, S&S 0.585G cams, Dynatek adjustable curve and rev limit ignition, and probably pipes.

What do you think I will be happier with S&S Super 'E' shorty or Mikuni Flatside 42? and why? (S&S says the Super G is better off on big inch motors above 95" and naturally they push the super E)

2:1 or 2:2 exhaust?

Riding style: one up most of the time, tight twisties, sweepers, hills, occassional super slab cruise 75- 85. I ride hard most say - have scraped the crash guards on the FLHT several times in the Texas hill country.

And thanks for your help on my previous problem - appreciate the dialog.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
CV44 if you feel like you need a larger carb, at around 100ft/lb it will give you slightly better numbers.

S&S is extremely primitive and would need at least one Thunderjet. The ONLY advantage of the S&S is that in some cases some people will get equal results as with a non optimized CV or Mikuni, but it's NOT the carburetors.
Even those that like Mikuni's admit they work best on lighter bikes, but if the choice were narrowed down to those two, I would reluctantly go with the Mikuni.

Might also want to look at the new parts books at the dealers.
There is also revised -A SE breather that eliminates the crossover, and it looks like that by purchasing a few of the minor parts in the kit and a little work it could be retrofitted, for those that don't like to go with the Ness BigSucker.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
While you are there might also want to take a peek at the new SE remote controller programmable ignition. No firsthand experience yet, but it looks like it might be a good thing.

These days you are shooting at moving targets.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Forgot, one word, Thunderheaders. LOL (if you are building for performance)

Second choice, if you want a quieter bike, would be the E-pipe, but you introduce another tuning factor, and if you want to really do things different with great results a Supertrapp headpipe with a Borla canister.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts