V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my HD heated grips yesterday. Directions were easy enough. The only difficult part was routing the wiring inside the handlebars. After about an hour, I got some electrician's fishing tape at Sear's which saved the day. Got everything routed perfectly through the headlight, following the frame under the tank... spliced the connections with the harness. Everything looked neat and tidy... Fired up the bike to go for a ride.

It was a cold night. Perfect weather to test out the electric heated grips. The new lowers I installed were keeping my feet and lower legs warm, but not a damn thing going on in the heat department for the hands.

So I thought maybe they just warm up slow... twenty minutes later, still ice cold, even though my mind kept telling me the heat was working...

I guess tonight I'm going to cut all the splices, and resplice... it sure would have been nice to have some of that heat this morning!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Before you start pulling your hair out...

Didja wire up the grips prior to installation to be certain that they aren't at fault? Not that quality control could ever be an issue these days. :boxin:
Just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...you know, I thought about it, but I didn't do it.

I'm too dumb to actually think that far ahead. Everything else I wire works fine, but given how involved this whole process was, I MOST DEFINITELY should of wired it up FIRST before the actual install.

Next time I'll know better.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
My experience

Wiring is beyond my skill set (not to mention the time spent doing it) so I paid to have mine installed. It does seem to take some time for the grips to get warm. It has been at least 15 minutes before I could feel the warmth penetrate my [cold weather] gloves. This is a crucial add-on if I want to do much cold weather riding. I frost bit my fingers (growing up in North Dakota) and it becomes very painful if my fingers get cold.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Not to scare you too much here, but I had two sets of HD heated grips go bad on me. Nothing was wrong with my installation, both sets were bad.
I went back to www.hotgrips.com and have had no problems since.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NodakGus said:
Wiring is beyond my skill set...
I think it's out of mine too.

How hard can it be to cut and crimp some wires?

I'm going to rewire tonight, but if that doesn't work... I'm going to return them and get the handlebar gauntlets. They look funny, but I bet they are warm.

I looked at the hotgrips, and they look like they'd work very well. The only thing I don't like is the lead out of the throttle grip. I wish that was internal, seems like it would bind or get caught, but that is a very MINOR issue compared to frozed fingers.

If I get the hotgrips, I'm going to have someone else install them, since I don't seem capable of doing it myself. :D

Hopefully, tomorrow morning, I'll be riding with toasty fingers and hands.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Czar,

Don't give up just yet. There are other heated grips out there with internal wires if you like. Wiring them is not that difficult. Only fishing the wire inside the bars is the challenge. If I can do it, so can you.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I haven't given up... I'm too stubborn to do that.

I bought some more of those shrink splices (sounds better than "butt connectors") and I'm going to cut and put it all back together. I think it might be the connection to the fuse box. I don't think I pushed the wire in the connector enough... we'll find out! Otherwise I just have a $200 pair of fancy grips.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Stop at Walmart and spend $3 on a test light. It's like a needle with a light inside it... you clip a wire to ground, then stab the needle into your hot wire. If it lights up, you got power to the accessory you just installed. If it doesn't light up, you messed up somewhere. This should be a required tool in every garage.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rewired the whole thing. Checked, double-checked. Took them off completely to return them, then just for personal satisfaction, hooked them up one last time while off the bike... still nothing. I think I got a defective pair. There is power coming out of the accessory connector, but the handgrips weren't heating up.

Nuts. I think I'll just get a electric vest and call it a day. I burned up my whole Saturday messing with the heated grips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts