V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 fatboy with the foglamp acessory kit (looks like passing lamps but has fog lamp bulbs).

These lamps are nice but I hate the way they turn off when I put on the hi beams. I am thinking of bypassing the auto shut off function of the hi beam switch by rewiring the feed direct. The only thing I wonder is will this discharge the battery when crusing? Is there anyone out there that has there bike wired direct with the passing/ fog lamps? If so, any battery problems?

Thanks in advance,
Steve67

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure about bikes but all cars are set up like that. Where the driving lights go off when the high beems go on. It might be a law I would check into it before rewireing.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
mine are reversed, on with highbeam and off with low beam. what i am gonna do is get a 3 position toggle switch. (less than a couple of dollars, to buy, we have many at work :) ) on in the up, off in middle, and on in the bottom position. wire it so the if the switch is up the lights are on with high beam. middle is off. down is on with low beam. im gonna be doin this soon and it will work like a charm.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As far as I know, they're wired like that not to prevent the battery from having too much draw, but because of the law as mentioned earlier. I wouldn't sweat it though, if you got a cop hassling you over that, you're gonna get a ticket for something no matter what.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responces.

After some thought, I think I am just going to wire the accessory lights to always be on with the toggle switchin the up position, and off in the down position...regardless of the hi beam switch position. When crusing at night, on back roads, I like the idea of these lights to always be on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts