V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the instructions with the motor guard fog lights for a Road King it says to remove the tank. Is it possible to do the job without going thru all that or not? Just trying to make this job easier.....Piper

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
If you want to run the wiring in the trough alongside the top frame rail, you have to lift the tank. You can try loosening the front bolt, removing the rear, and proping it up to get access to the trough. Be carefull not to chip the front of the tank or the console on the steering head.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I ran some wire under the tank by doing what Austin said but I removed the front bolts too. I just got it up enough for a little space then used something as a hook and pulled them through. Whatch the front fuel crossover line too. You shouldn't have a problem but be careful not to snag other wires or scratch the tank underneath.

·
Ride it like a RENTAL
75 Posts
Fog Light Install

I just followed the "partial tank removal" instructions in the manual, put a block of wood under the tank to give me clearance, and ran the wires, no problem there!!! Be careful where you connect the power up front, check to be sure you've got enough wire for the forks to turn lock to lock DUH!! and no pinching of the wires.......The wire ties on the hiway bars look like crap...still thinking of a way around that....but it's 5 degrees here right now....I've got a while to think before I put the sleds away and uncover the RK WILDBILL

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You can remove all three bolts and lift tank a little more too. Theres a little room in the cross over house.

Its not to hard to remove tank. Biggest thing is draining it. I do no have a vacuum pump so made a thing with house bucket and funnel. Still quite a bit gas all over the place.

I need to change fork oil. So going to buy vac pump, I would think it would work for this too.

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
Wildbill05 said:
The wire ties on the hiway bars look like crap...still thinking of a way around that.
I found some chrome wire ties to use when I mounted the fog lights on the engine guard of my V-Rod when I had it. I've got a new set still in the box waiting for my new Road Glide to get back from the painter in March. Might try drilling a hole in the engine guard and running the wires though it this time. I've heard that can be done. (Small hole so not to weaken the guard, of course).

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
sugestion to empty the tank :
go to the auto parts dtore buy a electric fuel pump,some fittings and hose
Viola with the bettery on the bike you can pump it dry.
i use this rig to drain my jet ski's fuel tanks all the time even drains oil if needed. i dunno about using it for fork oil but might be worth a try

good luck ......:happybd: hapy new year

1 - 9 of 9 Posts