V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Deuce Riders:

This is my first post, although I have read threads on this forum for a while and not to :beatdh:, I need some rear tire advice for my 04 Duece.

I am coming up on my first tire change and have decided to change the front and rear; having decided to go with Metzler 880's .

Having seen the difference in size of the front 90/90-21 (METZLER is bigger over the Dunlop; something I am told because of the way Metzler measures their tires vs Dunlop.) I am concerned that going with a wider rear will have issues.

My choice for the rear is the 160/70V-17 or 170/60VR-17. I have read the threads about using the SE 180, but don't have the time for mods.

Is anyone running the Metzler 170 on their Duece? Any problems? Any mods required? Any problem with lowering kits (mine dropped 2" AN kit)

Thanks for the help.

Learoy60
2004 FXSTD (DUECE!!!!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have seen several deuces at Storkers with Metzeler 170. They look like they fit fine and since it is a little shorter it should work good on a lowered bike. I was going to go with this tire but didn't like it being shorter since mine isn't lowered. I'm going with Avon AV46-ST 160/70R-17. Just my two cents

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 90/90 is bigger because the stock Dunlop is an MH90 which is the same as an 80/90. I run a 90/90 Avon on the front. I also have a Screamin Eagle Dunlop 502 180 on the back. Just a pully spacer was required and I removed the lower belt guard. You can notch it too if you want to keep the guard. The 180 is a nice improvement in looks. The 170 Metzeler will actually be a little bit narrower than the stock 160 Dunlop, but it is a great tire.

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
I just put 90/90 on front and 170/60 on my Deuce, both Metzelers. Surprising the 170 is 1/2" narrower than the stock 160. You might not like that, but the tradeoff is better handling. I hear the SE 180 is a simple mod though, just spacers on the left side. I just wasn't sure if the 180 is as good as the Metzelers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks y'all.

I did not see the narrower part on the 170. I looked at all the specs on the Metz website, but with limited tire knowledge, it's just about like reading chinese stereo instructions. {salute(

I'll make a decision soon. BTW the place I'm going to order from is a website called "mctires.com"....anybody use them before? Their prices are good from the research I did.

Learoy60
2004 Deuce

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm also running the 160/170 metzler and 90-90 metz. frt. on my Deuce. And it does bother me that the rear is narrower than the dunlop.
Someone mentioned that possibly Metzler has a 180 X 17 available now. Have not seen it and this is not for sure. But I would think that the metzler again will be slimmer than the 180 dunlop which would make it a better fit and still look decent....Anybody heard of this New metzler 180X17 tire??????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts