V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 ultra with 72,000 miles. i'm doin' a 95 inch over the winter. do i need to think about going ahead and replacing the flywheels? what i'm thinkin is that since i average about 25,000 a year maybe i should go ahead and open the bottom end so i don't have to do all this again in 3 or 4 years.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
jnbernstein said:
02 ultra with 72,000 miles. i'm doin' a 95 inch over the winter. do i need to think about going ahead and replacing the flywheels? what i'm thinkin is that since i average about 25,000 a year maybe i should go ahead and open the bottom end so i don't have to do all this again in 3 or 4 years.
The only answer to that question is, Do what makes you feel secure. If your going to keep the bike the rest of your days then its something to think about, is there more trouble free miles on the lower end...sure there are. Another thing to think about is the big bore adding more BMEP.....the added compression will wear bearings faster than the 88'' did. Its what makes you feel better that counts in this case.
I will say this though...if you do decied to change the flywheels, change the case bearings along with the flywheels.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'll tell you this much, we have torn down more than a few engines that are already built that have similar mileage and have found no reason to swap out for the sake of longevity. The twin cam platform is very solid and can take a hell of a lot more than people give them credit for. I will say this though, if you feel obliged to go in there to swap it out you might as well go with the stroker flywheel and turn the thing into a 103". At least you will have gone in for a good reason.

Best of luck on the build.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
GRock said:
I'll tell you this much, we have torn down more than a few engines that are already built that have similar mileage and have found no reason to swap out for the sake of longevity. The twin cam platform is very solid and can take a hell of a lot more than people give them credit for. I will say this though, if you feel obliged to go in there to swap it out you might as well go with the stroker flywheel and turn the thing into a 103". At least you will have gone in for a good reason.

Best of luck on the build.
By the way, Otto was showing me the other day the advantages of the SE(JIMS?) stroker flywheels/crankset with regard to the crank sensor teeth, the lightening on the wheels, the nicer rods and supposed free HP gained from the shape of the teeth since they don't carry oil like the stocker does. He likes that piece as a nice upgrade over stock.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
hdmd88 said:
This is a Jims 113'' flywheel with the rods and sensor teeth that you spoke of Toten
Yep! that's it........... ramped sensor teeth that don't catch oil, "real" connecting rods(as Otto put it), lightened flywheels and I see the pic is one of the B motor version. Thanks Doc! that is truly a nice piece versus the stock unit.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Have the crank out maybe going to a 107 or a 114 would be a nice upgrade as well provided your crank is all ship shape. I have my wheel lightened and I noticed a huge increase in rpm rev speed. I really doubt that you are going to see any gains with the low rpm that HD revs with oil windage on the teeth of the wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts