V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past spring I a took a stealer v-rod for a test ride. My son wishes i had bought it, but that's another story. Anyway, I really did like the bike. When I returned I shut the bike off and turned ignition switch to off, to take the key out and the dang thing jumped out and fell down behind the exhaust. I was wondering if their have been any changes to thev-rod ignition switch. Just thought that if happened alot, that would kind of suck. Maybe its just a question of getting to know its personality and it doesn't happen. Other than that little quirk there was nothing I didn't like about the v-rod. I do think that the v-rod platform is here to stay. I just can't see the air-cooled twins surviving the E.P.A. without sacraficing h.p.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah - the same thing happened to me twice and it was dark, I couldn't see where the keys were and almost burnt my hand trying to get them (which took a while). I was also worried about the fob getting damaged or melting by the heat of the muffler.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has happened to me numerous times :mad: just something you have to be aware of and watch for. The last time it was in for service the mechanic dropped it in the oil drain pan:eek:

·
Registered
544 Posts
It happened to me twice, now I just turn it to the first click and it locks the key in with out turning on the ignition. Mainly happened when I got gas and was closing the seat after I was finished but before I was ready to go, but now it go to the first click and it holds the key in until I am ready to fire up the ignition. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Banned
490 Posts
A problem that needs no solution

Just about everyone who rides a V-Rod drops the keys behind the pipes once or twice. Once you've gone through the hassle of fishing them out of wherever they've gotten lodged (hopefully without blistering your fingers on the hot pipes) you learn pretty quickly not to let it happen again.

Speaking of keys - I learned a long time ago that its always a good idea to keep a spare key on your "other" keychain (the one with your housekeys, work keys, boat keys, bottle opener, etc.) in case you accidentally drop your scooter keys down a sewer grate. Its happened to more bikers than you would believe..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I burnt my middle finger tip, the first time I rode the beautiful bike, and took my son for a ride, stopped at the bank to get out some cash, just as the sun went down, you guessed it, dropped em right down in the depths of hot chrome, I, a first day rookie, rammed my fingers down after em, and try to catch them mid-flight, and felt the stinging bite, of burning flesh on chrome, similiar to putting your hand in the toaster, while it is red!!!, needless to say, got my first Harley Brand mark, on my finger tip, blew up like ET's finger !!! Had to wait an hour for it to cool off, I felt sheepish, after my son thought I was so cool on my new Harley........lol, anyway, we looked around in the dark, for a long wire or piece of a hangar, finally lucked out, and found the perfect thing, a 12 inch lawn ornament, with an old fish on top, hidden in the bushes...........pulled it right out, and finally got going again, whew!! We still laugh about it, it is a great first day story for when we get old.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote: "similiar to putting your hand in the toaster, while it is red!!!"

Damn, Aint no Bagel, Toast, or Poptart worth that :) !!!

I see a VROD specific accessory marketing idea here. Or at the minimum a OFFICIAL HD Safety Gram coming soon.

Nick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts