V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, starting to plan next years vacation.
We live in Northern California and we would like to see the Black Hills of South Dakota. We have 9 days for our trip, so riding there is not an option. Has anyone done a fly and ride, if so how was your experience, was it hard to book, what was the condition of the bike you rented, how did you get your gear there, how did you get from the airport to where the bike was?
If you have been to the Black Hills, did you base yourself out of one city and do day trips, if so, where was your base and where did you go? For those who have been there what are "must see's," highways that must be ridden, things to see that are off the beaten path.
We are thinking of going after the summer rush, second or third week in September. Checking the temperature norms, this seems to be a good time, less folks but still nice weather.
Thanks in advance for your help, jack crowder

·
TL
500 Posts
Did a 7 day trip in late July. Flew in to Denver where we rented Ultras from Mile High HD. Nancy was the rental manager and they were great. That dealership is really set up well for rentals. Went through 6 or 7 states staying in a different location each night. While near the Black Hills, stayed in Deadwood rather than Sturgis.

There was about 11 of us and the bikes were all in great except one that required a new tire midway through the trip. They were all 2007 models with fairly low mileage and Stage 1 breathers and slip-ons as well as touring pegs. Very rental friendly.

TL

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Did a fly and ride to Vegas earlier this year. Just called the closest dealership to the airport and reserved the bikes - two new e-glides. No problem with the bikes other than running hot and pinging on the hills - typical 07 issues. You can get a better price through HOG but you have to book through HOG to get the discount.

As for gear, don't take anything you can't pack on the bike. We took a cab from the airport to the dealership and picked up the bikes. Spent a week touring NV, AZ and CA. Our route was intentially not planned. Each morning we would look at the map and decide which way to go. Ride all day and then find a hotel when the sun went down. Close down the local bar and then get up and do it again. It was a great trip from what i can remember :)

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Been there twice from SoCal. Riding there and back is 3/4 of the fun! It would be 2 days journey for you, and a heck of a lot easier than the fly/ride deal. Fewer moving parts, and by the time you go through all the logistics you're probably not saving more than 1/2 day each way. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
135 Posts
9 days is plenty!

PR3VS56 said:
Been there twice from SoCal. Riding there and back is 3/4 of the fun! It would be 2 days journey for you, and a heck of a lot easier than the fly/ride deal. Fewer moving parts, and by the time you go through all the logistics you're probably not saving more than 1/2 day each way. -2$en#e-
I had the same amount of time. I rode from Southern California (LA area)...it took 2.5 days each way. That left me 4 days at the rally...plenty of time! It was the longest ride I had done until that point and wasn't sure how I'd fare. We stopped every 100 miles to top off our tanks, stretch and snack. The days in the saddle flew by. I absolutely agree that the ride there and back is a big part of the fun.

Go for it. Planning the ride and getting ready for it is part of the adventure. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Being from the Black Hills I can tell you that you can see almost everything in 4 days of riding ie; southern hills, northern hills, badlands, devils tower. If I had 9 days I'd look at flying into Denver rent the bike there ride to Rapid City spend the 4 days touring the hills then head to the Bighorns, Yellowstone, Beartooth Hwy and back to Denver. You'd have a full plate but it would be a great ride. As far as the crowds are concerned by the 3rd week of August things are starting to wind down to where traffic isnt really a factor and rooms are readily available, the exception to that would be Labor Day wknd. If you have any questions just ask, I'd be happy to help.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fly and Ride in South Dakota

Thanks for all advise, I'll sit down with a map and take a second look. Thanks for the offer Hammer1, I'll keep it in mind. Take care, jack

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Like taking your pretty cousin to Prom. I hope you felt guilty about that boner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts