V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend has a bagger with flush mounted led tail lights mounted in the saddle bags. He is considering having the bike repainted, how would the painter spray the color and the clear over the lens for the lights that have been flush mounted into the saddle bags. Thanks for any information you might share, oh by the way does someone have any suggestions for a excellent painter in the North Carolina / Virginia / South Carolina area?

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I would imagine the LED assemblies are removable from the back side. In that case, all he'd have to do is take 'em out. Masking of the surface of the lense would be an alternative. I'd be afraid to clear over the lense due to the fact you're dealing with two individual parts made of different materials posessing different expansion and contraction rates in fluctuating temps. causing the clear to crack around the perimeter of the lense and leaving the surface 'open' and prone to peeling. Not to mention the possibility of chemical reaction possibilities between the elements in the clear, (solvents or carriers, binders, catylysts, etc.) and the plastic of the LEDs lense.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flush mount led lights

Thanks for the info Supersport but I believe the lens are epoxied or some how
glued on to the fiberglass of the saddle bags, the lights are easily removed but the lens appear to be there to stay. From the outside it is almost invisible
untill the lights light up. Anyone else care to chime in, I am still looking for a painter in the North Carolina area. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fast, the lens itself is epoxied into the bag and the LEDs are mounted inside the bag, and obviously shine through the flush lens. Since the lens is flush with the bag, you simply mask the lens off and apply your paint. The attached pic shows the flush LEDs contrasting the yellow paint, while the linked video at the bottom shows how "hidden" the lights can appear to be on a darker bike, like you said.

http://media.putfile.com/Bad-Dad-01-03-06Final

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad Dad, great stuff ! My friend would like to talk to you about his bike and and the possibility of having some more work done, how can we contact you?

·
Registered
71 Posts
45, attached below is a picture of a Yamaha that we did with leather bags. The picture shows the original, factory set up on the ground. We installed a tear drop taillight with a hinged license plate and then placed the LED bezels directly into the leather bags (for a more sleek appearance, the LED bezel could be painted black to match the bags).

Fast, if you'd like to shoot me an e-mail, you can reach me at [email protected].

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Something I have done in the past ( black ) is use a tinting base in the clear and it will give the lens a black look until you light them or hit the brakes. I did this on a car that I had and they almost are invisable during the day. The lens that is until they are lit. Not sure if you could do that with other colors never tried it. I amnot a painter by trade just something I picked up along the way. HMM I really like new tools and the HVLP guns are really cool own 4or 5 now I have them in all different sizes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts