V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that installed the flush mount gas cap & fuel gauge on his '04 Fatboy this weekend. Having a slight problem in that while the LEDs on the new gauge are working fine, the "low fuel light" under the speedometer is staying on even though the tank is full. The LEDs show the tank as full but the light on the speedometer will not go off.

The instructions were followed to the letter but this is still happening. Any ideas? :)

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
My idea is that the LED's arent pulling as many watts as the gauge was, so you'll probably need to add a resister of close to the same resistance that the gauge had. A wiring diagram of the new unit might be helpful, or speak with their tech department. My fuel gauges are never correct.. I just reset the trip odometer when I fill up.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We'll give that a shot, will also try to get him to scan wiring diagram.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Reply to Thread

I have the same problem. Installed my set back in September when they were first avail.

The new guage is also off by about 1/2 a tank of gas. I was not so worried about the gauge accuracy but the out of gas on the speedo bothers me.

Had the mechanic who worked on the bike last week check it out and he also concluded my install by by the book.

Please post any info you gain on this issue.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it looks super slick on my friend Fat Boy, he's going for a stripped down look on it and it really makes the lines of the tank look sharp.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
When I put my Panacea on I had to put a load balancer on it so it would not keep any lights on. I wonder if that kind of load balancer would fix the issue?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I don't have a softail but a DWG. The dealer in Allen told me that one would work on my 2004 EFI and that they had just installed on. I'm going to try it in a weak or so when I have time. Just scanning the instructions it says...

"The long gray wire in the new gauge harness was not found on the original gauge. This wire disables the low fuel indicator light on the speedo and replaces it with the low fuel indicator (red light) on the fuel gauge."

2001-2003 EFI
Gray wire will not be used. Cut the wire and put tape over it.

2004 and later EFI
Gray wire will replace the yellow/white wire found in cavity 9 of the speedo connector (39B). Cut the wire short and tape over end.

2004 and later carb
Gray wire will not be used. Cut the wire short and tape over end.

Don't know if this helps or not???

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Flush Mount Fuel Gauge and Gas Cap

I just installed the flush mount fuel gauge and gas cap last week (posted pictures under the Fat Boy Thread). On 2004 and up EFI bikes the gray wire replaces the Yellow/White wire in connector 39B as stated in the previous reply. When I installed the gauge on my EFI bike I ran out of time and left the gray wire unconnected. Sure enough the low fuel LED lit right up on a full tank of gas. As soon as I ran it down a half gallon or so it would go out. Finally, I had some time over the weekend and connected the gray wire to connector 39B. No more low fuel LED illumination on the speedometer when gas tank is full.

By the way, the flush mount LED gauge is no better at indicating fuel level than the original analog gauge #@SasF# . Still need to rely on trip odometer to determine when to gas up. LEDs sure look cool though.

Zaner

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I assume you guys are talking about the Kuryakyn unit. I had the same problem a few months back. I took it back to the mechanic, he got the directions back out, went "aha" and cut one wire. ( I love to hear the mechanic say things like that) It took all of 5 minutes and now the low fuel light in the speedo is cutoff as per the directions. The one in the Kury unit works correctly. Sorry, can't tell you which wire he cut.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Fuel Guage & Cap

After looking at the fuel light out long enough I decided yesterday to uninstall the replaced guage just to find the problem be it me or the guage..

After removing the three wire plug under the tank I inspected the side attached to the guage and found that when I put the wires in the yellow prong went thru the bottom hole and not the top. remove and re-installed in the proper hole, plugged back in and presto my problem solved.

Not sure how common this is. Never thought to look when I originally put it together.

Happy camper once again.

:

·
Registered
418 Posts
i have the HD units on my softail and night train. I find that about 90 miles the red light comes on and about 125 miles it starts flashing. I usually fill up about every 150 miles anyway so it isnt to bad but would like to see how far i can get on a tank

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I helped my father install the same flush mount kit on his 06 FatBoy the other day and he had the same problem. It turned out that he had run the grey wire to the yello/white that went down into the loom instead of to the speedo. The low fuel light stayed on. After he switched the wire around all was well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts